It was twenty years ago today

MackTheFinger

Actually only 15 years ago but I've been listening to the Beatles this morning. A friend sent me this pic. This was in Oklahoma when I was still on the sunny side of 60, adjusting the clutch on my shovelhead with Angus from Galveston offering encouragement and advice. It was this time of year the day after a long, cold trip with a slippy clutch. Rode out with some good friends from here, there, and everywhere. Everyone at the meet were members of the same group and some of them still drop in occasionally. Haven't heard from Angus in years, I don't think he's still with us.  ☹️

Oklahoma with Angus.jpg

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 3

I am still a big fan of the old shovel & panhead days.

I remember a Sturgis trip with a buddy of mine. He had an old iron head sporty and with everyone running drag pipes I couldn't hear if my bike was running or not. I picked up some 2" drag pipes downtown and proceeded to install them in a local bar parking lot. I had to use one of the old pipes to bend the lower support bracket to fit the lower new pipe. It was hot and folks were watching apparently because when I finished and started walking back toward the bar I was met with shouting to crank it up. So I did and they rewarded me with cheers and waitress brought me a beer on whoever I'm not sure.   Still have the old bike with those pipes.

• Like 1

Here is my follow-up since I hate to post without a picture I had to do some searching. First pic shows the pipes strapped to me on the bike and that is how I went down the road to the Broken Spoke. Next shot is with them mounted. Left the old pipes at the bar in a trash barrel but pretty sure I saw someone grabbing them later and hopefully he put them to good use.

traveling with 2inch pipes.jpg

Blue shovelhead.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Here is my follow-up since I hate to post without a picture I had to do some searching. First pic shows the pipes strapped to me on the bike and that is how I went down the road to the Broken Spoke. Next shot is with them mounted. Left the old pipes at the bar in a trash barrel but pretty sure I saw someone grabbing them later and hopefully he put them to good use.

traveling with 2inch pipes.jpg

That is a really good looking motorcycle. To me, a shovelhead running drag pipes sounds like a Harley oughta sound!!

I have one of those 5 spoke Invader wheels on the back of my '69 shovelhead. It's a 15 incher. Looks like maybe a Satellite on the front of yours??  

69 FLH.jpg

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 1

Thanks Mack,

I like the way you have your bike set-up as well. Have one similar to it with the old adjustable rake trees in the front.  Good eye identifying the Satellite wheel up front, really like the way both type mags throw the light. Old School