reproduction gas tank recommendation

mburtis

So I pulled the gas tank out of my 49 plymouth 4 door yesterday and its got about an inch long crack in the top of it. Probably could fix it but I figure if one spot is fatigued enough to crack then other spots probably are as well. I have been looking at the various reproduction tank available, many are available from ebay, I found one from a place called Vans auto, Bernbaum lists them as well. Are any of these tanks of good quality and can any one recommend one supplier over the other. Any chance any of them are made in the states or are they all coming from the same factory overseas? Thanks for any help. 

I can't help on the tank questions, but I found that new replacement gas caps don't vent properly.  They hold enough pressure that the tank in my 51 will oilcan as it heats up or cools off.  I've heard it do it and it would push gas out the fill tube when I took the cap off.

I bought a new cap to replace the one tha twas on when I bought the car, same issue.  Ended up taking it apart and lightening up the spring regulating the pressure.  Seems to be working right.  The original cap, best as I can figure, just vented with open passageways in the cap.    That might be what cracked your tank, if you have a newer cap, and may affect the new tank too.

There's a guy in NYC who used to post on here, Michael Warshaw, I think, who advertises re-popped gasoline tanks for the P-15 on FaceBook sometimes.  Maybe he has a lead on this later model as well, I don't know.  I don't know if he posts here anymore or not.  (Just did a search.  He is still a member here, but last posted in 2014.)

9 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

There's a guy in NYC who used to post on here, Michael Warshaw, I think, who advertises re-popped gasoline tanks for the P-15 on FaceBook sometimes.  Maybe he has a lead on this later model as well, I don't know.  I don't know if he posts here anymore or not.  (Just did a search.  He is still a member here, but last posted in 2014.)

He now has a business selling NOS and repro Mopar parts.  His eBay name is moparpro.

I have a fuel tank from TANKS in my '39 Plym. The tank was a perfect fit, made out of ABS so it will never rust.

One word of caution, rinse the tank out very well before you install it. Within about 60 days of getting my Plym running it quit running, dead dead. Had to have the car hauled to a repair shop, the carb was plugged up with a fine black powder left over from the manufacturing process. Wm.

I would call them....let them know what happened.

That's a big problem on their part.

I would not buy a tank that had to be cleaned out that was new.

Hope the shop repairs didn't cost you too much.?

1 hour ago, blucarsdn said:

I have a fuel tank from TANKS in my '39 Plym. The tank was a perfect fit, made out of ABS so it will never rust.

One word of caution, rinse the tank out very well before you install it. Within about 60 days of getting my Plym running it quit running, dead dead. Had to have the car hauled to a repair shop, the carb was plugged up with a fine black powder left over from the manufacturing process. Wm.

A datapoint from the replacement tank from Vans Auto for my '48 P15:

The tank I received was carefully packed but leaked from a porous weld around the drain plug and the fuel outlet that was barely welded...it ended up popping loose. When contacted Vans offered to pay for local repair of the tank but a repaired tank wasn't what I purchased. They couldn't explain how this tank passed a pressure test but agreed to send me a new one. After I pressed them a bit they agreed to also pay for return shipping which would have been substantial if I had to pay it.

When the second tank arrived I carefully pressure tested it and it passed. It has been in service for a year with no problems. The construction of the tank is very similar to the old tank except the drain plug is located at the rear of the tank instead of bottom center. The pickup is just a tube that lies against the bottom of the tank....no filter like the original tank. I did have to address a fuel leak but that turned out to be a new fuel gauge sender that was leaking through the rivets holding it together.

So far, so good.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Hello-We bought a steel  repop tank from Mopar  Pro for our P15 business coupe that had a rotted original tank.  The tank was a good fit to the trunk floor and the fuel inlet pipe lined up well,the 2 wire stainless sending unit he sells fits the screw holes with out any elongation. I would buy this tank again.  James