Looking at some old pics.....buried Plymouth

BobT-47P15

Perhaps some of you don't know about the buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere in Tulsa, OK.........entombed in 1957 in observance of the city's 50th anniversary

and dug up on it's 100th anniversary in 2007.   The car was essentially buried in something like a plastic swimming pool.......wrapped and covered to protect it and the

memorabilia items in the time capsule inside the car.    But----the container leaked.....and the car did not fare so well.  It was to be given away upon exhumation to some

person who filled out an entry in 1957.   They eventually located some relatives of the winner.....and they turned the car over to a fellow who makes a de-rusting agent

to try and clean it up.   But, they could only do so much given the damage.

A couple pics of the car just after raising. 

100_6268.jpg

100_6261.jpg

There was a plaque in front of the Tulsa courthouse to mark the location of the buried vehicle.  Had to look a bit to find it.

100_0676.jpg

We took our 47 Plym  to Tulsa (a 100 mile trip each way)......our daughter and son in law went with us on the trip.  (pic:  Jennifer & Mary Ann)

The PT Cruiser right in front of the convert is how Mary Ann wanted to travel....they didn't think riding in the back seat in the sun for a hundred

miles would be fun.   Dale and I did get sunburn. 

100_6393.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

Hey Bob: How are you doing with this c19 virus issue. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Not sure about Hershey in October here in PA.  Basically the whole state has been shut down and allof the annual car shows have been cancelled.  Have not heard anything from the AACA about the Hershey event.  I have two spots again already assigned to me but it is a waiting game that we all have to play.

Sounds as if its going to be a boring summer and little use of the cars and meeting up with the rest of the car club members.

Take care.

Rich HArtung 

Hi Rich.   Trying to stay safe in this virus thing as I have certain health problems in my old age.   Hope you all are doing ok.   

If you recall the fellow who was with me at Hershey, Nils,.....he passed away a few months ago due to some heart problems.  

Most or all of our car events are cancelled......but some car folks are setting up cruises where they will drive around but not

get out and socialize as a group.  I got a flyer about one locally a few days ago, but it starts during church time on a Sunday.

Plus the convert is up on jacks til I manage to finish my re-do of the rear brakes.  Not such a big task, but I am not a good

mechanic so everything takes me longer.  Plus---I sent in my old brake shoes for re-lining at a place in Kansas City.  The lining they

used apparently was the maximum thickness for my car......but my drums have never been turned and did not want to go onto

the linings.  So sent them back to K C and they ground off a little thickness---now they fit.   Always something.

Good to hear from you Rich.                         Bob Toft      Joplin, MO

11 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Hi Rich.   Trying to stay safe in this virus thing as I have certain health problems in my old age.   Hope you all are doing ok.   

If you recall the fellow who was with me at Hershey, Nils,.....he passed away a few months ago due to some heart problems.  

Most or all of our car events are cancelled......but some car folks are setting up cruises where they will drive around but not

get out and socialize as a group.  I got a flyer about one locally a few days ago, but it starts during church time on a Sunday.

Plus the convert is up on jacks til I manage to finish my re-do of the rear brakes.  Not such a big task, but I am not a good

mechanic so everything takes me longer.  Plus---I sent in my old brake shoes for re-lining at a place in Kansas City.  The lining they

used apparently was the maximum thickness for my car......but my drums have never been turned and did not want to go onto

the linings.  So sent them back to K C and they ground off a little thickness---now they fit.   Always something.

Good to hear from you Rich.                         Bob Toft      Joplin, MO

Bob:  do you have the aamco brake gage to do the proper adjustment on the shoes?  Let me know?

Yes we all are getting older and it takes more time to get started and we end the day even earlier then we did in our younger years.

If you ever decide to come to Hershey I now do have two sites so you are welcome to come by and sit for some time and talk about cars and have something to eat and drink.

Rich

• 10 months later...

desoto 1939  Rich....I do not have an aamco brake gage .....just using the feel and guessing process.   I probably need to tighten those

rear brakes a bit more but just hate to get under the car these days -- old age thing I think.    Not so easy to find a filling station with a

lift who will mess with the car......way back in the olden days those places would work on stuff or even let me do certain things myself.

Probably will not get to Hershey or Carlisle again ... but it was fun when we were there.   Thanks for the offer of visitation and lunch. 

Bob Toft    3/24/2021