Generator Return Current Question

Since I'm working on my B3B's wiring right now, an interesting question popped into my head. Let's say my battery is a little low but is charged up enough to start the engine. I start the engine and turn ON the headlights and all the accessories. Everything is working fine. The ammeter shows the battery charging normally. Here's the question: With the generator providing current to all these things, how is current returning to the generator? Does return current come up from the frame through the engine block and generator mounting bracket into the generator? Or should there be a ground wire running from somewhere on the generator to the frame? If the generator needs a ground wire, where should it be connected and what gauge wire would be adequate? I just know that whatever current the generator puts out has to come back to it and right now I can't see a reliable return path.

Generator Housing,chassis and body all serve as the return path.

under most driving conditions the generator provides enough energy to operate all the  accessories And then some to 

maintain charge in the  battery.

Edited by Tooljunkie