Water Pump Grease Recommendation

ChrisMinelli

I always use what I am using for my wheel bearings. never had a problem.very few people know much technical info about all the different greases available at the auto parts stores. that includes me. I use lucas red and tacky for my boat trailer bearings. towed the boat to ny from NC many times. if that grease is good for that it will handle a water pump. I do know that you need to be careful not to pump too much into the water pump zerk.    capt den

I use Lubriplate 115 - last time I purchased it some years ago it was about $12.50.

187480212_Lubriplate115.jpg.af9fe670cf6a90a357fa9c49384dc801.jpg

Edited by T120

Where is this water pump grease nipple you speak of? My '53 and '54 flatheads do not seem to have one. I suspect they changed the design in later years and dropped the grease requirement?

Edited by keithb7

7 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Where is this water pump grease nipple you speak of? My '53 and '54 flatheads do not seem to have one. I suspect they changed the design in later years and dropped the grease requirement?

My older water pump I replaced years ago had one but the NAPA replacement did not.  Newer model I suspect

I agree with Captdne I used a boat propeller grease in mine. Since a propeller is under water at all times this is a good grease to use. You can get this grease at any Walmart store. Also be careful to not over grease the bearing with the old style bronze bushing this will cause the pump to leak. Just a small  amount will do the trick.

I have changed out my factory pump that had the bronze bushing to a sealed bearing bushing so I do not have to worry about greasing the unit.

If you have the older or should I say the more newer style pump that these newer pumps by gates are now coming with the sealed bearing.  I would suggest that if your old pump starts to leak then replace with a sealed bearing.

Rich Hartung[

The guys that say their pump does not have a grease fitting or nipple it would be located on the output shat on the body just before the flange that is used to bolt on the fan blade assembly. So your unit might be a sealed bearing unit and th epump was replaced at sometime before you got the car maybe by a prior owner.

Rich Hartung

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

my water pump is almost certainly original to the engine.  The fitting is pretty apparent if you stand on the driver’s side and look down at the pump.  You may have a replacement.  I’m just cheap and want to get as much use out of the original as possible. 

The service manual discussed “water pump grease” which is noted as a different formulation than chassis lube.  On Ford Model A’s the grease is water soluble because it sometimes comes in contact with the coolant.  I do not know if that is the case with the Chrysler water pump.  I do know that my radiator is not working all that swell and I’m sure I’ll find plenty of sludge in it and the water distribution tube when I work on them later this summer. 

1 hour ago, greg g said:

There was a zero fitting on the shaft casting.  Most replacements made since the mid sixty's have "perminently lubricated" from the factory.

Must be just about when they figured out they would make more money if parts failed.

Personally I figure the grease really wont last long in a original water pump, going to need a few squirts every time it starts leaking. Why not use cheap grease so it will get flushed out and have a fresh supply as long as it is being maintained?    Just my two cents.

Even cheap grease today is probably better then what was available when these vehicles were built.

Currently working on a old john deere garden tractor. Just amazed the pulley/shafts on the deck have zirk fittings for grease, but the bearings inside are sealed bearings.

Grease the shaft all you want and get a good feeling, those bearings are not getting grease.

I do think this is intentional for parts to wear out, and then  need replaced after the product is sold.

Why not just use the correct grease if needed...easy to find..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-Grease-500g-tub/322605609036?hash=item4b1ccaf04c:g:~L0AAOSwlw1dsx21

I bought a full NOS 1/2 gallon off ebay  for $20.00 10 years ago. Another small can for five which I use all the time..

The right stuff for the job.

20200426_141639_compress70.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Why not just use the correct grease if needed...easy to find..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-Grease-500g-tub/322605609036?hash=item4b1ccaf04c:g:~L0AAOSwlw1dsx21

I bought a full NOS 1/2 gallon off ebay  for $20.00 10 years ago. Another small can for five which I use all the time..

20200426_141639_compress70.jpg

Sometimes what is available today is more important then what you can get tomorrow. I mean if you're gonna go that far then you might as well start looking for gas made in the 50's as well. 

Our D24 has a "newer" replacement water pump without the grease fitting, but our Terraplane has one that requires "water pump grease".  I got the blank stare at all the auto parts places here, too.  I got a tube of marine grade grease at Tractor Supply Co.  It is for lower units of boat motors, greasing propeller shafts, boat trailer wheel bearings, ATV applications, etc.  Anything where the grease may come in contact with water.  Marine grade / water pump grease is formulated not to emulsify with water when it comes in contact with it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

When I bought Lubriplate 115, 15 years ago or so, it came in a can. Still have two cans on the shelf in the garage, more than I'll ever use. Nowadays collectors pay   more for a can that is labelled Water Pump Grease  - don't care if it's empty. lol

Edited by T120
spelling
  • Like 1

Hey Nick307 did you even read the link I posted? ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-Grease-500g-tub/322605609036?hash=item4b1ccaf04c:g:~L0AAOSwlw1dsx21

It's the modern day water pump grease you just go and buy it.... real simple if that's what someone wants. That's why I posted it

I like cool old stuff and that's why I posted my tubs of WP grease.... guess you don't like good quality old stuff ....

Don't beat down the old timers....you are new here... be nice.

You will appreciate it here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After you have enjoyed the blank stares of the parts kid when asking for water pump grease go in for the kill and ask for a points file............sheer bliss...........lol........andyd

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 years later...

I discovered a new noise recently that was the water pump. Found some water pump grease on Amazon. I've read not to put "too much" grease in.. So how much is too much? I estimate I've put in maybe a teaspoon judging by what came out of the gun.. The noise has gotten better but hasn't completely gone away. Next question is what happens when you use too much? I may end up buying a water pump after all trying to figure this out.