Big block 440

Bif

I am starting a build on a 1953 dodge B series pickup I really want to put a 440 in with a 727 just looking for any input people may have? pictures and suggestions for a front and rear end to handle better and take more power? 

A5EB4784-07F4-4B9D-8B3F-D5AE872742A2.png

An ecology block in the bed will help.

Have you ever started the engine in the truck? A 440 is a lot of block to put in the space and be able to work on it, that’s the first problem. You’ll need to move the steering box to outside the frame, and fabricate a new steering column. A tilt front end would make it easier to work on. I toyed with the idea of a 4 liter Jeep engine but the longer block requires firewall modifications. I’d like to know if the engine in the truck can be started. A 289 Ford would fit better. But I’d keep it a flathead six. 

I have not tried to rotate it with a wrench yet all the wiring is shot so that’s is on my list for this weekend to dig more into it thank you guys hopefully I can get rolling on this project soon and update some pictures. 

My 39 Dodge coupe has a 330 horse 440, 727, and 8 3/4 rear. I couldn't be happier with the drive train, with a few buts.  The oil filter needed to be relocated, Transdapt made a kit to do this. Biggest problem is the steering shaft, starter and exhaust all want to exist in the same small space.  The engine is offset to the passenger side a bit, and the hot post on the starter was trimmed to clear the shaft.  BTW, a mini starter did not help.  My 440 isn't the hi po version from a road runner or super bee, it is from a 67 New Yorker.

4000 rpms is about tops, but its putting out gobs of torque and acceleration, even with a 2.98 to one rear gear.  One more thing, add front discs, you will need the stopping power for when a 16 year old girl texting pulls out in front of you.  Good luck with your build.

brian b

• Like 1

Yup, sounds like a nice project. 

www.rustyhope.com has your disc brake kit and you can look through this chart to find a suitable rear axle.

As mentioned, you may need to move the engine/trans centerline toward the pass side.

Thank you for the links I might be changing my mind to a 318 or 340 just to have a little more room to play with. The truck is light I should still have plenty of power for a 53. And a couple pics of the first couple days 

AF9A2712-F551-462B-9A91-44AE9CE5179E.jpeg

4E2F0A24-9F2B-405A-9235-F8D3F08A1193.jpeg

B7ADDD65-42A5-465B-97DF-ABFFC6CD1DAA.jpeg

A9ACF3C8-A1A9-4E6E-BB55-85A510CFCF15.jpeg

• Like 1

Sometimes like now, we have more time on our hands. Might be worth checking out youtube.

Sure most here knows of Nicks garage in Canada, builds a lot of big block mopars and hemi's

Then there is Uncle Tony's garage ... Tony recently built a 318. Goal was street/strip and when dialed in add nitrous.

Was all stock pieces, block crank rods pistons, porting polish at home in the garage. He did add a specific style intake, carb, cam, long tube headers etc.

It was pretty impressive when he took it out on the street for the first time and just beat on it. No nitro yet.

Tony in the past, fed his family as a mechanic working on dragsters and funny cars, he knows a little something.

So impressive, that Nick from Canada called Tony, they set up a youtube video project starting May 1rst.

Some clown will drive a car to Tony, Tony will pull the 318 and build it, then the clown will drive the 318 back to Canada to Nick's garage, they will pull it and put it on a dyno to see what kind of hp it is putting out.

Sorry for long story, I just thought that anyone interested in building a 318/360, would be interested in watching the vids and see what was done and what the outcome would be.

Here is a link to Tony's channel, currently building a 360 for a daily driver, more interested in getting it out of the way to start the project coming up.

I recently built a 58 Dodge truck and did a Dakota front stub swap. I ended up going back with the flathead but it was an easy suspension upgrade and could have easily dropped a V8 in. I just bought an 87 Dakota parts truck, used the front stub and rearend in the 58, sold off the rest. It really made the truck drive and stop nice. 

dakota stub.jpg

Edited by falconvan