brake line

captden29

dumb question, but here goes. I ordered 3/16 brake line for my 54 Windsor. too small. do these cars use 1/4 brake line? also, I ordered copper and there are also nickel lines. are either acceptable? easy bending is a must. I have a good flairnig tool. thanks.  capt den

21 minutes ago, captden29 said:

dumb question, but here goes. I ordered 3/16 brake line for my 54 Windsor. too small. do these cars use 1/4 brake line? also, I ordered copper and there are also nickel lines. are either acceptable? easy bending is a must. I have a good flairnig tool. thanks.  capt den

Regular copper lines are not a good idea for brakes. They can burst from the pressure. The nickle copper or copper nickle are the supposed to be very good and easy to bend. 

Getting fittings isn't a big deal, if you know the size you can order them or go to NAPA and have them get the fittings you need.

As for the size, newer model stuff all went to 3/16" a long time ago.  If you want to keep the same size you obviously can do that.  I'd probably replace the fittings in either case.  The cupro nickle line is readily available in 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8".  I have both 3/16 and 5/16 on hand for my EFI plumbing.

The booster requires both 3/16" and 1/4" brake line.

Long runs of 3/16" goes to each wheel.

thanks for the help. car has 3/16 and 1/4. the 1/4 lines go from the master to the booster, and 1/4 goes from booster to the 3 way tee, with all other lines being 3/16. I have the cupro/nickel line in a 25'  3/16 roll but need to get some short 1/4 for the others. auto part stores are open for what I need. everyone stay safe.   capt den

• 2 weeks later...