Desoto motor serial number

37redram

The engine number is stamped on a boss on the block above the generator. For DeSoto I would expect a first letter of "S".

The car serial number should be on the left (driver) door, probably between the hinges. I would expect all digits but a bigger number than you have posted.

S13....is 1946 to 48 DeSoto...I think!

• Like 1

I believe I wasn't real clear when I asked the question about the Desoto serial number

This engine is in a 1948 Desoto. I thought there might be a listing of engine serial numbers

what year that a individual number was used in.

I suspect my engine is not the original engine. Serial # is239707

Thanks again for any reply.

16 minutes ago, 37redram said:

I believe I wasn't real clear when I asked the question about the Desoto serial number

This engine is in a 1948 Desoto. I thought there might be a listing of engine serial numbers

what year that a individual number was used in.

I suspect my engine is not the original engine. Serial # is239707

Thanks again for any reply.

If it were a normal engine serial number then you could use the look up tool on my web site to determine what the motor was original in.

But 239707 is not a normal engine serial number. It should have a Chrysler engineering code prefix that starts with a letter (P for Plymouth, D for Dodge, C for Chrysler, S for DeSoto, T for truck, I for Industrial).

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Jac said:

I checked my engine number on the tool on your website @TodFitch, but it is not clear to me.

image.png.91984b9d82a88f66b4f354968a2777e3.png

It can be the D(odge), but if so what are the other numbers. My car is a P19 build in 1950

Does anybody know?

That is an odd engine number and I don't know what to make of it either. . .