Keys

Does anyone have an original key for their truck? I’d like to see what an original looks like. When I got my truck it came with one key and it was an obvious duplicate, as it is a Taylor key blank. One day, after I had the truck back on the road, I stopped at a local locksmith to see if they could make me a spare. They had 2 blanks in stock that would work. They have the Chrysler Pentstar, and remind me of a ‘60’s and ‘70’s trunk key. I bought them both and had them cut. They worked fine for a few years, at which time I found some DPCD key blanks on eBay that looked correct. I asked my local hardware store to cut them for me and they have been my current key set. But I still wonder what an original key would look like. It seems that most that I see are a brass color. 

Keys.jpg.ce75ca89b60918819b2f9de5e5577f5f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Does anyone have an original key for their truck? I’d like to see what an original looks like. When I got my truck it came with one key and it was an obvious duplicate, as it is a Taylor key blank. One day, after I had the truck back on the road, I stopped at a local locksmith to see if they could make me a spare. They had 2 blanks in stock that would work. They have the Chrysler Pentstar, and remind me of a ‘60’s and ‘70’s trunk key. I bought them both and had them cut. They worked fine for a few years, at which time I found some DPCD key blanks on eBay that looked correct. I asked my local hardware store to cut them for me and they have been my current key set. But I still wonder what an original key would look like. It seems that most that I see are a brass color. 

Keys.jpg.ce75ca89b60918819b2f9de5e5577f5f.jpg

as on FB, FEF's key looks like the left one.

The trucks used two styles of keys.

The Hurd ...afaik were brass keys as shown.

The other key style I cannot remember the name...

But always aluminum. .Ignition key is a open triangle as shown...the door an open circle...

My 1952 pickup I bought in 72 originally had the aluminum round open and triangle keys...but lost them and had to re key.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, that is interesting. As Mark pointed out, I also have this question posted on the FB group. It seems all that have posted there have the Hurd type key. This key is shorter than mine and is smooth on the back side. My keys have a dual groove on the side shown and a single groove along the back side. I got a set of the Hurd type keys at one time and they wouldn't work with my ignition switch. That's when I kept searching and found the DPCD keys that did work for me. 

I've checked my parts book and it only shows 1 ignition switch part number for all B-series trucks, and 1 p/n for the key blanks too. This makes me wonder if my ignition switch had been changed at one point in time. But if that were the case why would my key still work in the door lock, unless that was also replaced with a matching lock. Seems unlikely. 

Here are a couple examples from the FB group. These seem to be similar to what I tend to see from other's trucks. The one that's more open at the top is interesting. He states that he believes this to be original and has the Dealer key number tag to go with them. 

No photo description available. No photo description available.

You might also watch some of the Dodge Truck sales films to see maybe what keys are in the ignition...

20200421_080920_compress75.jpg

20200421_081256_compress61.jpg

• Like 1

This is my old worn round door key to my 1952 PU. It was on my key chain for probably 10 years when I drove it all the time.

It's odd my other truck big red uses the Hurd key for both the IGN and DOOR

My PU used the two different silver keys like the cars do. But different key shapes.

The triangle key for the ignition...the round one for the door.

I have another set of the aluminum truck keys and a IGN switch with the triangle key still in it from parting out trucks over the years.

20200421_103615_compress12.jpg

Beginning to think my 52 pu might have been re keyed before I got it in 72.

Totally confused now.

The triangle and circle aluminum keys are also Hurd keys...also used on early 1950's Fords!

I Googled images for this info.

Both the B and C series Don Bunn books show only the common "Hurd" steel or Brass keys in the IGN switch...

NOT the two different aluminum keys as I have shown.

As I mentioned earlier, I've tried the flat backed Hurd type keys in the past and they didn't work with my truck. So, since I'm working from home these days I had an opportunity to dash out to the garage and take a close look at my locks. I can clearly see the ridge on both sides that require the keys I have with grooves on both sides. Sorry, the camera had a hard time focusing up that close. 

So if someone did change out the ign. switch to this style they also changed out the door lock to match it. Seems like a lot of trouble for a farm truck that likely spend most of its life in a machine shed. 

IMG_7397.thumb.JPG.04af39740e06cf3f810d891eb0806ad2.JPG

IMG_7399.JPG.52e929120534cb0d740e6c52159fac2e.JPG

IMG_7398.JPG

Edited by Merle Coggins

Both the B and C series Don Bunn books show only the common "Hurd" steel or Brass keys in the IGN switch...

NOT the two different aluminum keys as I have shown.

The sales films all show the brass Hurd keys.

Screenshot_20200421-114428_YouTube.jpg

• Like 1

I think after all this the brass single key is correct. Door and IGN switch.

• Thanks 1

So apparently the ignition switch and door lock were changed out some time during my truck’s life. What the switch and lock were originally meant for may never be known. We have determined that they are not correct for a B-series truck. The ignition switch does not have a crank position, just accessory, off, and run positions. This makes me think it’s not for later model stuff. Maybe aftermarket replacements? 

My 51 came with a the ignition key on the right, it didn't work in the door which tells me one of the two were changed out over the years.  While working in Pasadana for a year I stopped by a locksmith shop and hand them rekey the door lock to match and make a couple of new spare keys.  Unfortunately the new keys have the Ford logo on them.  

20200422_074100x.jpg.685143bd54ad90fedce68d2713cc3abe.jpg

20200422_074045x.jpg.ffbd4a57b0c9b6e779aac079769b498d.jpg

Years ago while on a working trip to Wisconsin I stopped by a local junk yard and while browsing the many Dodge trucks I found this key holder with key laying on the floor.  Oddly enough the ignition switch was missing.  At that point I decided to liberate the orphan switch :)

20200422_073906x.jpg.deabd549896f0aee4e8cbf933f463a3a.jpg

20200422_073806x.jpg.4ef39368aa796b492b45de83e306a729.jpg

What I found most interesting was the key holder itself.  I remember seeing people using holders like this when I was a kid back in the 60s.

20200422_073722x.jpg.361b80d491ab87f2246c76503df6c970.jpg

20200422_073706x.jpg.ad0bc9457c7487a4fc60bd412ba8ee37.jpg

Brad

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bkahler said:

My 51 came with a the ignition key on the right, it didn't work in the door which tells me one of the two were changed out over the years.  While working in Pasadana for a year I stopped by a locksmith shop and hand them rekey the door lock to match and make a couple of new spare keys.  Unfortunately the new keys have the Ford logo on them.  

20200422_074100x.jpg.685143bd54ad90fedce68d2713cc3abe.jpg

20200422_074045x.jpg.ffbd4a57b0c9b6e779aac079769b498d.jpg

Years ago while on a working trip to Wisconsin I stopped by a local junk yard and while browsing the many Dodge trucks I found this key holder with key laying on the floor.  Oddly enough the ignition switch was missing.  At that point I decided to liberate the orphan switch :)

20200422_073906x.jpg.deabd549896f0aee4e8cbf933f463a3a.jpg

20200422_073806x.jpg.4ef39368aa796b492b45de83e306a729.jpg

What I found most interesting was the key holder itself.  I remember seeing people using holders like this when I was a kid back in the 60s.

20200422_073722x.jpg.361b80d491ab87f2246c76503df6c970.jpg

20200422_073706x.jpg.ad0bc9457c7487a4fc60bd412ba8ee37.jpg

Brad

That is very cool. I grew up in Clintonville Wisconsin, moved 7 miles away to Marion. Shawano is only 14 miles from me.

45 minutes ago, Todd B said:

Which junkyard in Wisconsin did you go to?

Well that was 20+ years ago and I think I just had the afternoon before catching an evening flight home so my memory is rather vague about this!

The trip was to Appleton so the yard had to have been within an hour or so drive of the city.  I do remember it was filled with nothing but old vehicles.  Kinda of a nice yard.

My bet it was Sell’s salvage between Clintonville and Marion. He had a couple dozen pilot house trucks there. All gone now, I heard about the crushing of vehicles going on but by the time I got there all the Dodges were gone.