Wiring demystified, please

DonnieT

Hey folks, newbie time 

It's time for me to show how little I know as I try to make heads or tails of my wiring. I'm trying to get my headlights and gauges working in the 48.

The previous owner switched it over to 12v but like I said I have no headlights, horns or gauges and i just realized the alternator is not even hooked up. But I guess if I've got no lights who needs to charge the battery, lol.

So here's my first question: what is this relay in the photo? It's just south of the voltage regulator

Thank you for your help in advance 

DonnieT

20200420_212109_resize_88.jpg

It looks like typical vintage Delco Remy 6V relay. I suggest a digital multi-meter with a sound beep to check for continuity. You can chase wires and find out where they come and go from. A long test lead is helpful. A simple wire with an alligator clip on each end. This allows you to clip it on,  for example a terminal on this questionable relay. Then bring the lead wire into the cab where you'll hold your multi meter. While you probe around with the other end, up under the dash checking probable connections to confirm continuity. Then you can find out exactly what's going on. What wires goes where.

If this relay is indeed 6v, (check it to ensure) yet the previous owner claims to have converted the car to 12V, is a good clue to possible repairs needed. A shop manual and schematic, or layout diagram are very helpful here in troubleshooting and repairing your electrical woes.

The wires seen in your photo do lend to electrical problems. The electrical system looks like it needs some attention indeed. Try looking at the area shown  in my photo below for the 6V or 12V mark.

IMG_4912.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

Yes Keithb7,

I'm sure its still a 6v 7nit, just unsure of what it is used for. Your tip with the wire and clips sounds like a good one. I'll try that one. I have the service manual with the schematics but that little guy was confusing me. I thought it was the horn relay but I figured out that's the relay next to it(pic attached).20200420_220127_resize_44.thumb.jpg.c1c1fb074fb425fa245087bee2f6821d.jpg

Thanks again.

From the looks of the terminals on that relay you need to take every connection you can reach apart and clean the terminals.....those terminals look like trouble that will never end until refreshed. A maroon Scotchbrite is good for removing corrosion from terminals and a bag of new screws, washers and nuts will finish off the job.

Sounds like you have a power problem near the battery, ammeter or headlight switch that is interrupting voltage to all the accessories. Have a copy of the schematic close as you start at the battery and work your way through the system. Use a hi-lighter to mark each lead on the schematic that is successfully traced. At some point you are going to find an 'uh-oh'.......and you will be on your way to restoring power to your car.    :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

Someone may have added fog lights at some point and used that relay?  Perhaps added a relay to try and get the head lights brighter? I am not overly familiar with what the stock '48 car came with.

• Thanks 1

If that wire with the nut and bolt holding the ring connectors together is hot, it's needs to be insulated!  Get a piece of 12 gauge wire about six feet long with alligator clips on each end. Put a 15 amp inline fuse on one end.  Now you can test your lights by powering them independently from their circuit. Start at the connector block where the lights are fed from. Power each terminal to determine what goes where draw up what you find, then trace those wires back toward the switch and we where your faults are.  Could even be bad grounds at the lamp to body connection.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Someone may have added fog lights at some point and used that relay?  Perhaps added a relay to try and get the head lights brighter? I am not overly familiar with what the stock '48 car came with.

Could be kuz i don't see it on the schematic. But I did find that the wire coming out of the bottom of the steering tube is connected to it. That is what led me to believe it was the horn relay. In the picture, it's the wire under the right screw. Which looks out of place. It has a bullet looking connector on it.

Thx.

Edited by DonnieT

53 minutes ago, greg g said:

If that wire with the nut and bolt holding the ring connectors together is hot, it's needs to be insulated!  Get a piece of 12 gauge wire about six feet long with alligator clips on each end. Put a 15 amp inline fuse on one end.  Now you can test your lights by powering them independently from their circuit. Start at the connector block where the lights are fed from. Power each terminal to determine what goes where draw up what you find, then trace those wires back toward the switch and we where your faults are.  Could even be bad grounds at the lamp to body connection.

excellent advice, thank you!