Build Sheet

ceng1

I'm looking for a reference to interpret the Build Sheet for a '48 B1D.  I know the engine, body, serial codes but need to figure out the original axle ratios, colors, mirror types, etc.

Any good references or ideas?

1948 B1D Build Sheet.jpg

Thank You!  I see the correlation to the numbers above the left rows now.

Any idea how to interpret the dots and other options?

Is there a book or reference with a key code to interpret?

I think it is close to original but you never now until you check all the details.

1717821322_48dodge.thumb.jpg.2e8a5f7e98e81ea445b3fe093076cfff.jpg

• Like 1

Guessing with best of us.  I don't know of a foolproof decoder ring.  If your truck is stock with no mods over the years it helps.

I’m not sure how to post links to previous threads, but a search for build card turned up a post that I copied and pasted below. It was written by Kevin Clause. I don’t know if he is still available to answer questions, but it might be worth a try. He seemed very knowledgeable when I communicated with him a good while back. 

David A

I wrote an article on decoding Dodge truck build cards (including the punches). It appears in the March 2008 Power Wagon Advertiser for anyone interested in it. Anyone interested in a no cost evaluation of their build card can contact me at kknglenn@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Kevin Clause

• This
  • Like 1

Kevin Clause has researched a ton of information on decoding build cards from a variety of archive sources.  In conversations with him, he relayed that there is not one set code for the Pilot-House trucks but more like several codes depending on build date.  I requested several build cards and noticed that the printed cards have small changes year to year, he confirmed this as well as that build codes varied over the years, depending on who was in charge at Dodge Truck.  A few years ago, he was able to pull up his notes to decode my Spring Special, and he verified the paint code was the only way to know for sure if a Spring Special was authentic.  He collects copies of build cards from owners to add to his database and decodes them on request.  However, the last few digital copies of build cards I have sent him have not been decoded yet as he was dealing with a few issues that were eating up his time around first of the year in Michigan, and I have not heard back from him in weeks...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I submitted a request by mail for the build card from Chrysler, 

wondering if anyone knows what kind of time-frame to expect

a response, I am sure the are  inundated with requests?

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

Well, aren't  you just a ray of sunshine, not what I wanted to hear "if at all"  ?

I will wait 'patiently'.

Edited by billrigsby

There is a lot of uncertainty in Michigan with covid-19 showing up as FCA was merging with PSA, as FCA was in the midst of reorganizing the NA operation to be more profitable before merger talks...the Chrysler museum was closed to the public and contents moved to a larger albeit less accessible space, which happened about the time I sent my initial requests in...who knows if the Historical Services has been furloughed because of covid quarantine or mothballed until the economy gets back to normal...originally, CHS had it's own webpage with pdfs to fill out for requests, and there was a fee schedule included...eventually the fees disappeared, the webpage was moved to the FCA website then buried on a FCA information page, so a lot has changed in 4 yrs, not all for the better...requesting information is encouraged, but do not be too disappointed if you do not get a response before January...

5 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

There is a lot of uncertainty in Michigan with covid-19 showing up as FCA was merging with PSA, as FCA was in the midst of reorganizing the NA operation to be more profitable before merger talks...the Chrysler museum was closed to the public and contents moved to a larger albeit less accessible space, which happened about the time I sent my initial requests in...who knows if the Historical Services has been furloughed because of covid quarantine or mothballed until the economy gets back to normal...originally, CHS had it's own webpage with pdfs to fill out for requests, and there was a fee schedule included...eventually the fees disappeared, the webpage was moved to the FCA website then buried on a FCA information page, so a lot has changed in 4 yrs, not all for the better...requesting information is encouraged, but do not be too disappointed if you do not get a response before January...

I will be happy with any response, but the world is weird now,

latest is an asteroid is heading towards earth be fore the election (CNN/NASA)

I WANT 2021, NOW ?

8 hours ago, billrigsby said:

I submitted a request by mail for the build card from Chrysler, 

wondering if anyone knows what kind of time-frame to expect

a response, I am sure the are  inundated with requests?

I sent a request on February 26th this year for my GA via email. Danielle at FCA emailed me saying expect something in 3-4weeks.

I followed up at 6weeks, turns out the mail was delayed so she sent me a “jpg” file of my build card. Never received the mailed copy but, printed the photo so I’m happy ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

I sent a request on February 26th this year for my GA via email. Danielle at FCA emailed me saying expect something in 3-4weeks.

I followed up at 6weeks, turns out the mail was delayed so she sent me a “jpg” file of my build card. Never received the mailed copy but, printed the photo so I’m happy ?

I am guessing that email address is now defunct, I could not find one?

Part of the pdf forms I mentioned on the CHS old website asked for physical address as well as email as the fee schedule for hard copies was like 10 bucks more than a pdf of the build card.  So the CHS contact email has floated between members like a library book as we have received our build cards, I do not recall seeing the contact email on the website at any time.  I believe this was done for a variety of reasons, but from an ISO standard I reckon it leaves CHS an out if they have a change in personnel. 

The last contact I had was danielle.szostak@fcagroup.com :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
added link

1 hour ago, billrigsby said:

I am guessing that email address is now defunct, I could not find one?

What “build request form” are you using?

09591D21-37BC-4D1E-B8D9-F10DE4873335.jpeg.e6f809d9fcbb6adde9d45bc2af495f66.jpeg

https://www.chryslerclub.org/PDF files/Chrysler_Historical_Build_Record_Request.pdf

• Thanks 1

I could not find a form on their website, just a fax and mailing address.

"Historical Services:

Due to the high volume of requests, Historical Services requests that all inquiries be submitted by mail or fax. With all requests, please provide your name, contact information and specific request. A confirmation email or letter will not be sent."

A fax would no go (no answer), so I mailed it.

Just sent her an email though, with all the information requested on that form you provided.

Time will tell.

I received a response to my email surprisingly quickly,,

see below.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting

a build sheet anytime soon oh well.

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting the FCA Historical Archives.  At this time, we are unable to do the research needed to answer your request, due to corporate guidelines, and have limited physical access to the archival records.  We are able to answer requests where we can remotely access the materials.

While we cannot provide a timeframe as to when we will be able to assist you, I would expect that it will be towards the end of the year, but there is no target date at this time.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.  We look forward to being able to help our customers in the future.

Regards,

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Danielle, thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate the information you were able to provide, is it a fair assumption that my request will be kept on file and fulfilled at a later date?

Thanks again and have a wonderful day, Bill

Hello Bill,

I have about 700 requests that have come in during this time, so I may not be able to save this request and return a response when I return.  It would be best if you could contact me at the beginning of the year to see if we have returned to the office full time.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Danielle Szostak-Viers

FCA Historical Services
CIMS 410-11-21

May not be what you wanted to hear, but it is a honest-to-God thoughtful reply from a real human at a large corporation.  That  in itself seems remarkable in this day and age, which is sad....

Excuse me while I go yell at some kids to get off my lawn...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RNR1957NYer said:

May not be what you wanted to hear, but it is a honest-to-God thoughtful reply from a real human at a large corporation.  That  in itself seems remarkable in this day and age, which is sad....

Excuse me while I go yell at some kids to get off my lawn...

Yes!, a reply in four days, and one of those days was Sunday!

IMPRESSED to say the least, and the volume they (she) must deal with.  ?