230 water displacement tube removal

SuperDave87

There have been many unusual gadgets invented to remove that water distribution tube.  Many had a hook on the end -- so they could slide it down the tube and hook into one of the rear slots in top of the tube.  Some came out in their entirety while some came out in pieces.  If you need further ideas you should be able to find some archived posts on the topic.  Good luck.

Back in 1990, I tried this with a steel bar. I put 4 barbs on it with a torch and ground them sharp.

I got it in good, and pulled it with a 2lb slide hammer.

It hooked in well and the tube moved 1/2" easily. Then stuck.

I pulled the slide hammer hard and it came half-way out in a shower of rust.

Not the tube. The bar. The tube is still half there, but it is just big flakes on a solid spine.

I put it aside 30 years ago, thinking I'd never use this 230 at all, but it was running, and I think this Summer it will run again.

I'm going to stand up the engine, nose down, before try this. I also have a gallon of pool wash to chase out the rust first.

Phosphoric acid and some soapy water is all it is, but it is strong! I'll have to flush the engine with water and washing soda to neutralize trapped acid.

I'm not sure if this'll work better than old DuPont 2-step radiator flush, but I think it's much stronger and will work quite fast.

After that I'll remove the dissolving remains of the tube with homemade tools, pulling down, instead of horizontally.

I expect it to come out like a heap of red dung.

After, I'll pull all the freeze plugs and replace them, before I try to fill the coolant.

I ended up drilling a 7/16 hole in the back of the block and using a 1/4” steel rod to help push it to the front. Then I threaded the hole for a 1/2” plug.

Edited by falconvan
  • Thanks 1