Diferential problem

Hi boys I have a problem . I have one dodge truck 1/2 ton b4b and has a diferential ford truck of the 70s I want to put a dofferential dodge 1949 1/2 ton but I not have the shaft cardan tibe my questios is should I put the shaft tube the 1953 or 1949? 

what is your advice? And if anyone have one for sale

thanks

I do not understand why you would want to go backwards by putting in an obsolete rear axle in. 
parts are harder to find and much more expensive. Universal joints are more expensive than what is in there now. 
i just removed my 51 rear axle for a more current and much cheaper to fix rear differential. 

i could understand a correct restoration, any other reason is just a waste of time and money. 

The '49 differential would have the early version u-joint yolk. These u-joints are harder to find, and more expensive when you find them. Also, it wouldn't match up with your driveshaft (cardan tube). It's possible that the shaft wasn't modified for the Ford axle, as the newer u-joint is a popular size that's still used to this day. If you can find a pinion shaft drive flange from a '51 or later diff you should be able to use it on your '49 diff and have the newer u-joint connection. 

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The '49 differential would have the early version u-joint yolk. These u-joints are harder to find, and more expensive when you find them. Also, it wouldn't match up with your driveshaft (cardan tube). It's possible that the shaft wasn't modified for the Ford axle, as the newer u-joint is a popular size that's still used to this day. If you can find a pinion shaft drive flange from a '51 or later diff you should be able to use it on your '49 diff and have the newer u-joint connection. 

Ok thank you I will look for it