From the back 40

MackTheFinger

Sorry if you were hoping it would be a Mopar. It's a 1966 Chevy L-79 4-speed Nova SS. I got it from the insurance company in early 1973 as a replacement for a 1965 Mustang fastback that got totalled. They gave me the choice of a couple of Mustangs or this and since both Mustangs were automatics I went with the Chevy. It was black when I got it and I painted it white in the '80s. The air cleaner and bumper guards are the only original parts that I don't have. They disappeared decades ago. The center of the trunk pan and the gas tank are shot but the floors and rockers are all still in good shape. There's some rust here and there but all in all it's in good shape considering that it's been outside, neglected and unwashed all this time. I had it running 8-9 years ago and drove it around the field a few times but other than that it's been in the same spot since '87 or '88.  I'm considering retiring again and thought I'd work on this some.  Whattaya think, make it a gasser?? ?

1966 Nova.jpg

5 hours ago, Todd B said:

What size motor?

It still has the 350hp 327 4-speed that it came with. I rebuilt the transmission once in about '76 and the motor a few years later. It ran fine 10 years ago but who knows now.

I was kiddding about building a gasser out of it. I'm going to fix the rust, paint it, and redo the interior along with whatever mechanical stuff but I won't get too carried away. It was our driver years ago and hopefully will be again. I remember going on trips in it when my kid was a baby. He's 46 now. Maybe in the next couple of years we can take it on another road trip. Some day it'll be part of the empire he inherits. Imagine the Sanford and Son theme..  ?

Edited by MackTheFinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like your plans for it. Those Novas, especially 2 door hardtops, were great looking cars and I loved them as a kid. I got my driver's licence in 1965 and always thought it would be cool to have one but way out of my price range at 16.

Sounds like you are going to give it some TLC and enjoy it. It will be a great project. Lots of family history with the car and sounds like more to come.