49 Plymouth Disk Brakes Yea or Nay??

Cat Whisker

I know the old saying, "if is isn't broke, don't fit it", however I do wish to install front disk brakes on my 49 Plymouth. Searching, I have found that it seems to be two major sites of RustyHope and Scarebird that make the bolt on adapters. One requires drilling and tapping (no big deal) and the other a straight bolt on.

Has anyone used either of these and if so, what are the pros and cons??

Are there any other makers that perhaps provide the complete kit, I.E. with rotors, disks, calipers, bearings, etc. that are tried and tested??

Will the stock/original master cylinder still work??

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Take a look at AAJ out of Portland OR. He makes brackets for discs front and rear and also master cylinder adapters for dual piston units. Roger is a great guy and is very helpful. I used his set up on my 52, works well.

• Like 1

There are also some links on the forum if  you use the search pertaining to some home grown front disc using common wrecking yard and or new OTC pieces....Am thinking these were Ford mini van series related.  Use the search feature for a number of full install documented here....

• Like 1

Just a couple of threads I started.  I finally went with Scarebird.  There is a detailed installation by medium_jon about his son doing the installation with a new master cylinder and valves. I am using the orginal master cylinder 

Edited by 48ply1stcar
  • Like 2

Many, many thanks to all for the response's... I decided to go with Scarebird and placed the order today. They were nice enough and very willing to send the instructions that has all the required parts needed to finish including makes/models/part numbers for the calipers, rotors, lines, etc. No one else was willing to send anything without first buying the kit. 

Again, many thanks for the info and the pictures...

i used the scarebird on my 49 meadowbrook. easy install and works great, have had them on for about 5 years now.

43 minutes ago, pipebomb said:

i used the scarebird on my 49 meadowbrook. easy install and works great, have had them on for about 5 years now.

Glad to hear that. My Scarebird order should be here tomorrow and the pads, calipers, and rotors should be here Wednesday. I did get all new control arm shafts/bushings and once I get it apart, will check the kingpins. It needed to be taken apart anyway cause someone at some point drove thru a freshly tarred road and everything is covered solid with small rocks, mud, and tar big time. Thanks and take care.