the right starter

POPTOP

how do I  tell if I have the right starter  when I try to start it, it zings some times it start i dont believe its the ring gear if you would  rock  the truck and it started that would the ring gear i think?  so i think the throw is too long  any help would help thanks

I guess the particulars would help its a 1949 dodge b1b flat head i will look for a tag in the am  i know that they  2 size blocks with 218 the heads one longer than the other this one is the short one  thanks again

Does it still have the foot stomp starter, or has it been converted to a key start? The original foot stomp starters push the bendix out mechanically when you step down on the arm. The arm will then contact the electrical contact to make the motor spin. If that's the case I would suspect a ring gear issue. 

If it has been converted to a car type starter with key, or push button, start there could be a problem with the starter itself. Those typically throw the bendix out when they start spinning. 

thanks Merle, It is a foot stomp . I thought about the ring gear I was thinking if you stomp and the gear came out and there was a zing it was hitting the ring gear maybe worn out teeth  but since the flywheel didn't turn and I stomped again than it turn over  several times  maybe it was the starter. I will check the ring gear thanks again Merle

Ring gears can get worn in certain areas as engines will come to rest in certain positions.   On the  engines at work we've seen it repeatedly in 3 locations, 120 degrees apart.

Another option to consider is the fact that the "button" on the starter that the stomp  contacts can be screwed in or out to advance or retard the point at which the starter begins to rotate and you might want to stomp a bit more vigorously when you start the truck so the starter doesn't spin without being engaged to the ring gear.

• Like 2

Another thing that comes into play is that not all starters are created equal. When I built my truck I had two starter professionally rebuilt because I wanted a spare. They were identical. The one I used to begin with worked ok but it didn't turn the engine over that quickly. I just assumed that was normal for 6 volt. Ran it that way for years. It always started....but sometimes not easily.

Fast forward to last year. A pro mechanic buddy mentioned to me that he did not think my starter was turning the engine over quick enough.  A few weeks later I dug my spare out and installed it. Holy crap!!! What a difference. Now it seems like I converted the system over to 12 volt. Turns out what I thought was normal really was not.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Jeff, carefully remove the back cover and inspect the oilite bushing for wear....they will go egg shape and when they do the armature will start to drag...this eats current like you read about and slows the motor....this will take but a minute to check and a few more to exact a repair.   

• Like 2

I will check it over when I get time. Thing is it turned the engine over that way from the time It got back from the rebuilder. The starter that is in it now was rebuilt in the same shop and the same time. Night and day difference in how each turned over. That was the point I was trying to make.

Jeff

This is dumb but my 230 flatty stock starter stopped working one day while out and about. I sprayed almost a whole small can of wd40 through it and it never hiccuped again for a bunch of years running 12v thru it. 

wd40 is mostly solvents with a little oil to leave behind so I suspect I hosed out some trash.

That said mine would also spin but not crank occasionally. I would just wait for it to stop spinning then (not with murderous intent but firmly) stomp it again. It was rare that it would not catch the ring gear twice in a row. Not perfect but disn’t seem worth fixing