Upper Steering Column Bearing

Problem solved!  I discovered that the entire bearing was in the column and it was just stuck.  What threw me off is that the top of the bearing looked like a race and someone added an extra cupped washer above it that looked like another race.  I assumed that the balls and cage were missing between those two parts. I freed up the bearing and took out the extra washer.  With JD's suggestion to add some heavy grease it will work great.  Thanks for everyone's input!

This is my first post.  My Dad had a '51 B3C truck when I was a kid.  Learned to drive in it and our '51 Plymouth Coupe.  Worked many times on both. He sold them both in 1970.  I purchased my 1951  B3C about 20 years ago when my sons were in high school and we started a frame up restore.  Together, we rebuilt the engine & trans.  Blasted, rebuilt and painted the frame ourselves.  Their college and life put the project on hold for a number of years.  Finally, I got a body shop to piece paint for me and I just put the cab back on the frame last week.  I'm excited to start getting it back together and I appreciate how everyone on the forum shares their knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1