1950 desoto solenoid

Jesse cammisano

I’ve got a 1950 desoto that I just got home and it does run, but as soon as you connect the negative battery cable to the battery (cable running to solenoid) the starter is spinning, I can crank the motor over this way if I push the lever for the bendix in and out to engage the teeth to the flywheel this is how I got it started, but the only way to prevent the starter from spinning is to pull the cable off of the battery, I have only previously worked on dodges and Plymouth’s which do not have this type of set up. I know these solenoids are pretty much impossible to get, is there any way they can be repaired? I’ve seen a few rebuild kits for them on eBay, but I don’t really even understand how they work, any help would be appreciated thanks. 

Sounds like the starter relay is stuck. I had the opposite issue; my solenoid would engage but not send voltage to the starter motor. I took my solenoid apart, cleaned all the contacts with some Emory paper, a little oil on the plungers and it’s working great. 
Put an ohmmeter across the two big terminals on the relay. If you have continuity, it’s stuck internally. Easy fix.

The factory DeSoto shop manual shows you how it works...

Get your multi meter (VOM) and do as stated above.

If it's the square box style not round on the end of solenoid there are good close up internal pictures and talk of it on this site.

Do a search. Square type shown

Solenoid Chry DeSoto Misc 1941-50 (9).JPG

C45 to C50 Chrysler Solenoid.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya