shock absorbers

DJK

Take one of your old shocks, measure the compressed length and the extended length, then match it up on NAPA auto parts. They show all the dimensions of their shocks on line.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty%3D1%26N%3D2500007%2B2600710%2B2800722%26Score%3D0.9&referer=plp&partTypeName=Shock Absorber - Front&keywordInput=shocks&scene=partTypesScene3&fullyQualified=false

I put gas shocks from a mid 60s A body Dart Valiant Barracuda an my 46 coupe.  They are a hair longer but it hasn't been an issue.  While you are working on suspension changing out the rubber shackle bushes really helps ride and tracking.

• Like 1

I liked the KYB Gas-A-Just far better than the Monroes, but twice the price.

Since my car was lowered, I don't know what ones fit the stock height car.

31 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

quick search on this site shows that most go with the Monroe 5752 but you can cross that to any brand that is your favorite or suits you needs and pocketbook....

Just installed Monroe 5752s on my 48, bought at Rockauto under $20.  I see they are also listed for 1950 Delux.  What makes the Cranbrook so different?

not shure what your budget is but E-bay has them delivered to your door a number of listings 50-55 bucks the SET.....many do not like e-bay and chose not to buy there...but they are passing up one viable resource for searching components.  Get the part number there, buy where it makes you feel warm and fuzzy...

3 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Just installed Monroe 5752s on my 48, bought at Rockauto under $20.  I see they are also listed for 1950 Delux.  What makes the Cranbrook so different?

Rock has a lot of stuff...I made a long list of engine parts for a rebuild...the killer was the shipping went off the wall as they filled the order from 5 warehouses.  I went to e-bay and buy it now bid with shipping included and got name brand parts for just one dollar more than rock auto BEFORE they added shipping some 80.00 saved....the parts arrived in 3 days and the one item only rock had was 10 days arriving...not that I needed it that quick...just noting the difference.   I use these folks a bit for some of the older foreign cars I have and they come through great...just got to watch large orders and multiple shipping point is all...  at 20.00 bucks a pop and no shipping included...e-bay 50-55 is good ballpark figure.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, greg g said:

I put gas shocks from a mid 60s A body Dart Valiant Barracuda an my 46 coupe.  They are a hair longer but it hasn't been an issue.  While you are working on suspension changing out the rubber shackle bushes really helps ride and tracking.

You must be talking about the rears as the front shocks on an A body won't fit anything on his 52. 

Thanks for the responses guys, strange thing is, I removed the shocks just to see how they felt, they feel great!!!! I can find rear shocks, it's the front that is not available. If I decide to replace, I will measure the shocks and check w/ NAPA. Thanks again

Shock studs on a 51 are 3/4 and shock studs on a 50 are 5/8.

I assume you can probably just make up that difference with some sort of sleeve, but I think the 51 shocks are a different part number and that they are a little bit stiffer.

so, the ya rent all the same. What year is your car?

• Like 1

additional information - Shock Absorber Replacement :cool:

I found the $200 shock absorbers and compared its specifications to the Monroe 5752 shocks, the biggest difference being the 3/4" vs 5/8" mounting diameters.  Looking through the Monroe and Gabriel catalogs, I could not find any front shocks that were close to the 5752s in compressed or extended lengths, looking at the 11/16" and 3/4" mounting diameters, with several bushing widths.  So it looks like the 5752 is the best game in town if ya can open up the bushings carefully or maybe even get the right sized bushings to swap out.

Edited by JBNeal
added research findings
  • Like 1

Found the receipt for the fronts on my 46 they were the 5752s.  Also in my manual l have a sticky note with the Gabriel number 81469 which shows for rear. 

Specs are extended 22.54 collapsed 12.68 and stroke of 8.8

Also have a note for 82156

Extended 20.33, collapsed 12.37, stroke 7.9

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, 48ply1stcar said:

ust installed Monroe 5752s on my 48, bought at Rockauto under $20.  I see they are also listed for 1950 Delux.  What makes the Cranbrook so different?

Well, the big news on the new MoPar 51s were the new Oriflow shock absorbers.  They won't go on cars pre 1951, and pre 1951 shocks won't go on the 51s.  

I know the rear shocks pre oriflow have different extended and compressed lengths so that's the major issue.  Not sure about the front shocks though.

Years ago Edelbrock sold shocks that reminded me of Oriflows in how they operated.