Low Oil Pressure and Knock

Polsonator2

nothing short of a complete teardown and thorough cleanup is going to yield satisfactory results.  I think your metallic residue is from the piston skirt and more will be found in the oil screen and galleries.  Bits could even be lodged up against the camshaft journals.    Get your crankshaft polished or reground by a machine shop and any questionable rods resized.  In an earlier post I mentioned that I had torn down an identical engine . The crank was 010 and good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my old gal I slapped a couple new bearings on her and she has been running another 1,533 miles and made it through the rest of the summer cruise season.  This was last weekends cruise and going to another tonight.

FB_IMG_1601914315902.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2
  • Like 4

"In chasis" engine work...gotta love it.  Wonder if there is something peculiar about #4 cylinder in our flatheads.  I did an "in chasis" overhaul on a '49 Plymouth in 1969.  If memory serves, it was also a spun big end bearing on #4 piston rod.  Got it all back together but never got it running.  Reported for an enlistment in the Marine Corps. Figured I would work on it on "leave" and have it when I got out.  Neighborhood kids built a "fort" under it.  My Mom was afraid they would catch it on fire by using candles for light.  She "junked" it 6 months before my enlistment was up.  Never did get it started or hear it run.  Talk about roadside repairs and shade tree mechanic work.  My step Dad told me of a service that was available when he was a teen.  People would come to the car and rebore and hone the piston bores.  Seems they had a machine something like a drill press that would lock into one cylinder bore and bore out and hone the next bore.  Switchy switchy until all bores were done.  Anybody else ever seen or heard of this.  He grew up and lived in Philadelphia, PA.  May have been a big city thing rather than suburbs or rural.  FYI.  Regards 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

It's called a boring bar

https://youtu.be/Ew7F7Nu2H94

Yep.  Sold mine years ago.  While they could be used in chassis, that was limited to some cars/trucks and some cylinders due to access restrictions.

I've never used mine like that, nor did I ever see it done.  Really seldom used mine as there was a shop in town back in the day that did boring and honing much faster and accurately than me.   And he was cheap, so I let him do his thing while I did something else.  In the 60's, he would hot tank, bore and hone for $50!

2 hours ago, squirebill said:

So how did the boring bar fasten to the block.  Can't tell from the video.  Is it mechanically fastened or is it an electromagnet.  Just wondering.   Regards     

Bolted down to the head bolt holes.  Some models also had a bracket that went down and adjacent cylinder and clamped.

Thanks for the information.  Like I said , had heard about this device but never saw one. Now that i know what it is called was able to find a few videos where it was demonstrated.  Brought back some great memories of shade treeing with my Dad and later with my Step Dad.