218 fuel injection project

Sniper

As I mentioned in another thread, I am fuel injecting the 218 in my 51 Cambridge.  Been doing the physical mockups so far, the controller finally arrived today so no electrical has been performed, so far.

To bring us up to date I've done the following.  On a Thickstun dual carb intake I made adapters to mount two Weber IDA based 42mm throttle bodies.  42mm was selected because it matched the bore size of the intake.  The adapters are the black spacers between the intake and the throttle bodies, they are made out of 3/4" thick phenolic laminate.  I tapped each adapter to fit up a connection for the PCV system also plan to add.   I did this so that there would be no lean cylinder issue.  In the crossover of the intake I also tapped in a fitting to supply a vacuum signal to the MAP sensor and the fuel pressure regulator.  I had to split the supplied fuel rail as the original spacing would not work with my setup.  I started in on the TPS sensor mount, but I need addition hardware to make it work.  Since there was no air cleaner that I felt met the style of this swap and would bolt to the throttle bodies, I made my own.  You can see the base plates mounted to the throttle bodies here.  I haven't made the tops yet, but when I do I will update this thread.  Linkage is a combination of what was supplied with the throttle bodies (lever on the left and the return spring) some 8mm shaft couplers, 8mm shaft and the black lever is from the linkage kit supplied with the intake.  On the far right is where the TPS is going to be, you can see the mounting plate and temporary screw holding it in place.  That's pretty much where I am at.

2088069231_finalmockup.jpg.8f7ab9f8c55106cfcf508661bdd46e86.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Several years ago at the Detroit Plymouth owners Club meet we talked with a couple engineers from Chrysler who were working on a throttle body dual set up based on 2.2 2.5 4 cylinder engines that were used in Omni and Horizons.  They were talking about using the ECU units from those cars as they were pretty simple systems that to input from map, throttle position and o2 sensors to run the throttle bodies.  We didn't get into a lot of details but they felt the system would be pretty easy to adapt to the flathead six. They had an Edmunds dual intake they were planning to utilize with the setup.

There was also a write up on the web about using Jeep 4.O throttle with three injectors adapted to feed the siamesed cylinders meaning each injector would fire 2 times per crank revolution each pulse feeding the shared I take runner at the appropriate time.

Edited by greg g
  • Thanks 2

Have you guys seen any TBI/plenum setups on a flat six?

Port injection looks like too much for me.

I'm actually still thinking of sidedrafts on a log.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the air cleaner housing write up done

http://www.yourolddad.com/air-filters

As well as the TPS adapter mount.

http://www.yourolddad.com/sensors

Still have to decide where to put the AIT sensor, real estate on the air cleaner base is tight, might put it in the intake.  Internet opinions are mixed on which is a better spot.