rear axle

DJK

I see a plug behind the backing plate on each side of the rear axle housing, is this for possibly applying grease for the axle bearings. I plan on replacing the outer seals, but unless I fabricate a puller, I won't be pulling the axles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Found it in the back of my repair manual under lubrication, I had looked under the rear axle section previously. Any suggestion on which grease to lube the rear bearings with.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty any grease that is rated for wheel bearings will be fine but I'm sure others on here can offer a good selection for you. Also, if you plan on doing your own repairs on this car, you would be wise to pick up a rear drum puller like the one pictured. These drums can be really stubborn to remove especially if they have been on the car for many years and not removed. Good luck to you.

John R

puller 2.jpg

I fabricated an axle puller today, works great. Was not keen on the idea of using a slide hammer or the drum to get the axle out. I saw in the manual about the short fiber grease. What would be suitable in todays terminology for grease?IMG_4935.JPG.2d52fe390dd0ffabfd337e2241624044.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJK said:

I fabricated an axle puller today, works great. Was not keen on the idea of using a slide hammer or the drum to get the axle out.

Looks like you have this beat, but using the drums as a slide hammer worked flawlessly when I pulled the axles out of a spare rear end. I put the drums loosely back on the axle, started the nut, gave the drums a couple of yanks and the axles (actually the bearing races) popped right out. Typing this took longer than pulling the axles.  ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Son in law and I invented this rear axle puller.  Just threads onto axle....I put a rag around it to protect threads....then placed a pipe wrench on it

to tap on with a hammer.   Anyway, it worked as intended.

101_8213.jpg

101_8212.jpg

101_8211.jpg

101_8211.jpg

101_8210.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

On 4/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, John Reddie said:

I'm pretty any grease that is rated for wheel bearings will be fine but I'm sure others on here can offer a good selection for you. Also, if you plan on doing your own repairs on this car, you would be wise to pick up a rear drum puller like the one pictured. These drums can be really stubborn to remove especially if they have been on the car for many years and not removed. Good luck to you.

John R

puller 2.jpg

That would be more useful if you told him what it was.

OTC 7394 Universal Hub Puller

8 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Son in law and I invented this rear axle puller.  Just threads onto axle....I put a rag around it to protect threads....then placed a pipe wrench on it

to tap on with a hammer.   Anyway, it worked as intended.

101_8213.jpg

101_8212.jpg

101_8211.jpg

101_8211.jpg

101_8210.jpg

I just took it one step further fabricating the tube to pull it out as opposed to hammering it out, not being familiar with how tight of a fit for the bearing race. Better to be safe than sorry.

As I recall.....and it's been several years.....we didn't have to hit that wrench very long or hard before things moved.    But your puller looks

interesting.  There has been a lot of inventiveness displayed on this forum over the years....guys making tools for specific applications and

getting the job done.  And they are always good about passing on the information.  

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, Sniper said:

That would be more useful if you told him what it was.

OTC 7394 Universal Hub Puller

Your point is well taken and thank you for providing the info. I figured that my description stating it as a rear brake drum puller along with a photo of said puller would be adequate as there are different ones available. In the future I will do additional research so my suggestions will be more useful. 

John R

• Like 1

Not intended to be harsh or anything, I am running into this kind of thing a lot with my EFI swap, directions say "We used a GM sensor and it worked perfect" or " the ECU is precalibrated for a GM sensor". 

Wonderful, which  one?  Every sensor GM used has multiple possibilities, but a part number tells me exactly what they used.

So I am somewhat over sensitive to it.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Not intended to be harsh or anything, I am running into this kind of thing a lot with my EFI swap, directions say "We used a GM sensor and it worked perfect" or " the ECU is precalibrated for a GM sensor". 

Wonderful, which  one?  Every sensor GM used has multiple possibilities, but a part number tells me exactly what they used.

So I am somewhat over sensitive to it.

Sniper, I fully understand what you are saying. I've had this happen myself. Best of luck on your project

• Like 1