What engine do I have?

jim6346

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently bought an engine for a 1939 Plymouth
Pickup.I was told the engine was out of a 1940's Dodge. I want to make sure I order
the correct gaskets for it. I found the following numbers on the engine, I'm hoping
this could lead to the right gaskets. I did an internet search, but came up with a bunch of
different answers.

1484929-46 (Block Casting)

59     7 31

TP23    818 (stamped on pad)

1676337-1 (Head Casting)

1311805 18 (Intake Casting)

Thank You

James Bradley

Maybe this will help? https://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

I did find this: 

TP23 230ci 23 Inches Dodge Truck D100, D200, D300, W100, W200, P300, P400, WM300 1960
Edited by keithb7

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

unfortunately you may have a refurbished block that is stamped by the rebuilder to reflect their level of build/component install....

That must be a regional thing.  All the rebuilders around here (OK) never stamped the cast iron.  All attached an aluminum tag to the block with the bore and bearing sizes.  But the factory stamped pad was never altered, like the TP23 in the OP.

On Rock Auto web site I see the following 6 cyl engine options for a 1960 Dodge D100 truck:

1960 CUSTOM D100 PICKUP

2.8L 170cid L6

3.7L 225cid L6

3.8L 230cid L6

23 " length head. Is that your measured head length? This also lines up with the July 1959 cast date on the block. Also the TP23 number on the block SN plate. Next step might be to pull the hex head plug at the top of #6 cylinder, centre. Get a small diameter wood dowel. Measure stroke. If engine can be barred over.

Well crap, I was told it was an early  40's Dodge engine.

Yes, it is a 23" Head.

Do you think this would fit into a 39 Plymouth Truck with minimal modifications, or should I 

start looking for a different engine?

Thanks everyone for you help!!

Jim

Well it ought to fit generally speaking, since your Plymouth should have had a 23" flattie in it.  However I am not well versed enough in the finer points of the evolution of the 23" flathead to know for sure what maybe different.  If you have the original engine then it can be useful when swapping. 

I have a 38 Plymouth car. It originally had a 23" engine.  The previous owner had a 1954 25" long 228 ci engine installed. The rad was moved ahead a couple inches. A slightly smaller sized rad was used, as the nose tapers smaller as you move forward. That engine you bought is likely just like all the earlier L6 mopar engines before it. My understanding is your bell housing and tranny will bolt up to it. I am not well versed in the topic but see the results in my car. Was the original '39 engine a 201ci? If so, the '39 carb may be a little undersized for the '60 engine. The '60 carb would probably have an auto choke and high idle system compared to the 39 carb. It had a manual choke and high idle throttle cable. My point being the original throttle linkage may be easier to use with the '39 carb. However you may get better performance from the '60 carb on the '60 engine. Depending on the brand of each carb, some body and linkage parts may be inter-changeable between the two.

If the 60 engine you bought is a good runner, and you aren't trying to win a concours show with the truck, I'd move ahead to install it. The '60 engine will have more HP and torque too.

Edited by keithb7

14 hours ago, kencombs said:

That must be a regional thing.  All the rebuilders around here (OK) never stamped the cast iron.  All attached an aluminum tag to the block with the bore and bearing sizes.  But the factory stamped pad was never altered, like the TP23 in the OP.

I understand that some states required renumbering and most prohibited it.

My first flattie turned out to have defaced numbers, as it was probably stolen before it ended up in my P15.

I trashed a perfectly good block 20 years ago, because, to me, the one thing worse than non-matching numbers is bad numbers. I literally lifted it and smashed it on a curb to relieve my anger at being sold a car with bad numbers.

Fortunately my frame numbers were good and matched the line production numbers I found under the front fender.

Those numbers were on the drivers side of the cowl, behind the left fender, and also found inside by the dome light at the top of the left B pillar.

Unless I am mistaken all you will need to do is get a flywheel from a mid 50's or older 230 to complete the installation. If you have the cars original flywheel, count the number of teeth on it - should be 143 ? If its 143 then a 230 flywheel should do the trick.

I forgot to mention, I also got the transmission, flywheel, starter, etc. Pretty much a complete

setup, which is why I wanted to use it. Definitely not a show truck, guy just wants to drive it again

in his lifetime :)

Thanks again everyone!!

Jim

Same-size flathead sixes are generally interchangeable over a wide range of years.  It becomes a matter of switching around bolt-on parts, like manifolds and the oil pan,  to make it work in your application.  In my case, I put a '57 Plymouth engine, that was used for many years in a '39 Dodge, into my '52 Plymouth.  It all fits and works.

• Thanks 1

Just realized the gooseneck is pointing to the left, the old one was straight ahead. May have trouble 

lining it up with the radiator.... Can I just change out the neck?

Thanks again!!

Jim

Yes, plenty of goose neck options. Flexible ribbed hoses too. Someone did this with my swap. 

A2284727-4D8C-4E13-B65D-C268DA63CB8C.jpeg

Edited by keithb7