230 Dodge Freeze/Core Plugs

Cat Whisker

Aluminium is now the material used in most radiators purely due to cost and the weight saving that aluminium has over copper & brass.............my Oz 2 cents, 1.6 US cents worth......andyd

• Like 2

Just put steel in mine. I had two of the holes in the block that the inner sealing surface was pretty deteriorated. Just put on lots of sealer and keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily these old systems only use a 4lb pressure cap.

Time for my two cents. Sam Buchanan has it spot on. Something else to consider besides the corrosion is the flexibility of the metals. The steel is a harder metal and even though the temps are not extreme heating up and cooling down a steel plug vs a brass plug will result in a differing life span for the plug. The water, heat and reactivity of the steel plug has a faster effect on the rusting and life span than the brass plug, which being a softer and non corrosive metal that can tolerate the flexing from heat better.

That being said, the steel plug will last for a long time. Just not as long as a brass plug IMHO. Especially in a hot humid environment like Florida. I've got the steel plugs in mine and around the edges the back plugs are leaking and has the classic signs corrosion. I'll be replacing mine with brass within the next few months.

Joe Lee

Use good quality steel plugs..where you find them...I don't know anymore.

This if you use distilled water and or 50/50 premix coolant. Plus you should  change the coolant every 2 years.

If you don't use premix or don't change coolant use brass plugs.

Now if you have an aluminum rad and brass plugs...oh boy

• Like 1