Options for 15" rims to use original hub caps on a 47 P 15

47Nik

I am ready to get new rims and tires for my 47.  I want to use the original hub caps if possible.  I also want to spend minimal on the wheels since it's just a driver and nothing fancy.  Was either gonna weld clips on some existing rims, but worried about them being out of balance then.  Any ideas ?? Thanks, Nik

later mopar rim of the 70's had the extra set of holes between mounting holes that may alloy you to attach clips....this is just a maybe....else look for a set of originals wheels and be sure you getting a solid set for your money and time to process them.  You have few options with original poverty caps...

I got some clips from Chevs of the 40"s. I used them to replace some missing original clips and they worked fine. Go to wheels, then hub caps. I used small bolt and lock nut, but could probably weld also.

e

use  wheels  from a Desoto or Chrysler Royal  or Windsor   48 to 54

or Dodge, but you must have a matched set (different offset (except Canada)

4 hours ago, 58prostreet said:

I got some clips from Chevs of the 40"s. I used them to replace some missing original clips and they worked fine. Go to wheels, then hub caps. I used small bolt and lock nut, but could probably weld also.

e

Are these it?

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/7575/Chevrolet_Hub_Cap_Retaining_Clip.html

Detroitsteelwheels.com or mobsteel.com sells clips (they look real close to the originals on my old wheels), I believe the wheels are to be drilled and tapped for these, but I suppose you could tack weld or rivet them on. I put new 16” wheels on my 52 and bought clips from mobsteel.com, for the original caps, but never got around to installing them, purchasing new snap on dishes instead. They were $10.00 a wheel, 5 count.

I believe some do this and other split the rim, weld in a section and true it back up which really alters offsets....all this is relatively expensive over purchasing wheels already made to X size...while the focus of this thread is using original caps and installing the clips to modern....modern wheels can easily be purchased but the trend starting in the 90's (some earlier) were really positive offsets as the bearing systems changed design at this time in the front hubs.  Anyone seeking replacement wheels for these old cars will probably benefit from searching more for 89 and older mopar rear wheel drive wheels.  These wheels have a slight positive offset also and often will need 1/4 to 3/8 spacer on the front when fitted with radials due to bulge may contact steering components.  Some wheels have these additional 5 smaller holes already in place for attaching specialty caps of the era and will probably support the clips but you may need to be creative here to some degree

Hello,  When I bought my 48 Plymouth the former owner he took off the 15" wheels and used the on a running 47 Plymouth. I came along and bought the car with the 47 16" wheels. I wanted the car to be correct so I located a 1950 Plymouth in a junkyard and bought all 4 wheels off of the 50( they had the clips to allow the use of the original 48 Plymouth hub caps). I then bought a set of Goodyear collector tires(6:70 x 15) from Jim Benjaminson (benji@utma.com) which he advertises in the Plymouth Owners Club Bulletion. I have my third set on now after 38yrs of ownership.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Ernie Baily

Glendale Elks Car Show 2017.JPG

Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm gonna try to weld or bolt some clips on the wheels I have. I also noticed the 3 hub caps I have are the same diameter, the 3rd one is smaller.  Might need to trade for one, I'll try to post some pics.  Nik

Something to consider: when I was looking for 16" stock wheels for the '40  wagon, I had numerous parts cars on the property and took 17 wheels down to my cousin's wheel alignment shop to be checked for true. Of the 17,  4 were acceptable, the rest were bent or so out of true as to be unusable. Not sure how much effort it takes to true up a wheel (without the tire), or how you would do it, so a modern alternative where you added the clips might be the path of least resistance.

I too have had a heck of time finding true 16" wheels, finally switched to 15 " originals but even that was a challenge to find 4 straight ones.  On my current project Im buying brand new steel wheels and adding the clips.  Need to remember this was never much of problem for the era when most of the roads where gravel and dirt.