Thermostat dilemma

Duskylady

Attempting to put a new thermostat in a 218. Is the new one pictured an update? If so, any ideas on how it goes together?

0BEFF0B3-F751-4D91-92B2-E0A329E444DA.jpeg

412B38E3-0302-426D-9B5D-5E7E0773E988.jpeg

2 hours ago, Duskylady said:

Does this look correct? Seems to me the t-stat should sit down in the head. 

690C5AB7-E11A-4DEF-9C20-4BE314FBB2D0.jpeg

The part with the bulb or bottom (see my posted photo) always sits down into the head. It senses the water temperature and opens the thermostat when it reaches the correct temperature.

John R

therm stat.jpg

That thermostat is just not right. Anyone know a part number for this one?

B2A0010A-8BBA-41A9-8DE0-94CBEBF7A0C9.jpeg

Edited by Duskylady
Forgot picture

Ebay has some old style thermostats for sale $10 +free ship up to $30.

I just looked at - EBay- 50 Plymouth thermostats (my car) but they fit just about all older Mopar flat  6's.

Screenshot (31).png

Your pictures look like they show 2 different housings. The thermostat you have with the adapter and rubber washer is correct for a housing with a by-pass hose attached. The old thermostat looks like it would be correct for a housing without the by-pass fitting. Note: The thermostat you show in the first picture doesn't look like the rusty 1 in your follow up picture where you are asking for a part number.

Edited by YukonJack
  • Like 1

Apologies for the confusion. I have two housings and three different thermostats.  It’s a bit of mess trying to piece things together.  Thank you for the pointers.  I think I can find what I need. 

There are two different bypass systems being shown.  The cast iron fitting with the short piece of hose I'd the external bypass assembly, the sheet metal housing is for the internal type which also has a head casting with a small bump out on the forward end of the head casting.  Which are you using?

21 hours ago, Duskylady said:

Does this look correct? Seems to me the t-stat should sit down in the head. 

690C5AB7-E11A-4DEF-9C20-4BE314FBB2D0.jpeg

Yes, if it's being used with the housing in the picture and the head and block are external bypass type. Though it looks like the old seal is still stuck up in the housing there.

Edited by 50mech

I used a stat from a 60's 70's mopar v8. Worked fine in my car. Do check the opening temp. by heating in water on the stove and monitoring temp using a themometer - stir the pot constantly while doing this. Stats are notorious for not opening at the correct temp. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:52 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

number of folks run this style with zero problems.....but I understand the need to please your wants...

Yup I've got over 20k miles on mine. No issues.

• Thanks 1