1952 chrysler saratoga rear end

Brian Coleman

does  your original  gearset  have 2 or 4 spider gears? If only two the 47 rear should fit complete.  Also how many splines are on the spider gear ends of the axles?

I can look later in my old interchange manual with the other info mentioned to make sure. Is the 47 the same ratio?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

The 47 is a 2 spider gears type of rear  and according to the book changing from a stronger 4 gear type to the weaker 2 gear type is Not recommended.

You also most likely have 16 splines on the spider ends of your axles. The 47 uses 10 spline axles. While is some cases the parts are removed from one gearset and installed in the other to make it work.

If you have 10spline axles in good condition  now the 47 3rd member complete may fit in your housing, and work fine. One other question is how many attachment bolts hold your 3rd. member to the main housing and also in the 47. They made a change in some rearends about these years.

I cannot say 100 % because the book my does not cover this because of the stronger/weaker statement I guess?

Hope I helped not just confused,

DJ

How many mounting holes?

If 10  then you have the Heavy NewYorker diff.

11mounting holes ...same as a Plymouth ,dodge or DeSoto...except they will all be 2 pinion.

All will have 10 spline axle shaft side gears.

Rear end pinion yokes can be two spline sizes too.

Saratoga's starting in later 1951 were now using the lighter whole six cylinder chassis even though they had the 331 Hemi...a hot rod Windsor so to speak.

What ever diff you find that will bolt in the housing ....be sure you can fit your rear driveline yoke to it.10 or 16 spline.

I had 2 Saratoga's and a couple 51/52 Imperials and NewYorkers.

You have to really know your stuff on those Saratoga's doing rear end work.

I think they put them together as they found parts.

In Lynnwood Washington Pick and Pull there is a 331 Hemi 1952 Chrysler...it has or did have some nice grille chrome and the complete rear end in it too.

They list it as a 1950 chrysler.

Shown is a 10 bolt, 4 spider, 10 spline Chrysler barrel differential..what your's should look like...

20200404_165830_compress78.jpg

20200404_165802_compress80.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

The 47 is a 2 spider gears type of rear  and according to the book changing from a stronger 4 gear type to the weaker 2 gear type is Not recommended.

You also most likely have 16 splines on the spider ends of your axles. The 47 uses 10 spline axles. While is some cases the parts are removed from one gearset and installed in the other to make it work.

If you have 10spline axles in good condition  now the 47 3rd member complete may fit in your housing, and work fine. One other question is how many attachment bolts hold your 3rd. member to the main housing and also in the 47. They made a change in some rearends about these years.

I cannot say 100 % because the book my does not cover this because of the stronger/weaker statement I guess?

Hope I helped not just confused,

DJ

Thank you.   I have a 10 spline spider end on axles.  10 mounting holes

7 minutes ago, Brian Coleman said:

I know that the 52 Saratoga is a 10 spline yoke. Not sure about the 47 plymouth?

The plymouth is 10 spline.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

1947 Plymouths are a 11 bolt differential...

You said you have the 10 bolt ...that being the bigger full size Chrysler  differential..

The Plymouth won't bolt in your housing.

5 minutes ago, Brian Coleman said:

No. I have found a complete rearend assembly from a 47 plymouth 

My oldest Hollander doesn't go back to the late 40s, but I would be very surprised if a Plymouth housing had the same spring mount spacing as a Chrysler in those years.  None of them in the 50s show as able to  interchange.  Gears and bearings yes, housing no.

3 minutes ago, Brian Coleman said:

Ok.  Can I take ring and pinion out of the 47 ply and install into our original third member casting of the 52 ??????

I don't think so .  Your 50 is likely a 4 pinion unit while the 47 Ply is most surely a 2 pinion.

Is your car Fluid Torque Drive or just Fluid Drive?

A Hemi FTD would tear up a 2 pinion rear end under harsh driving.