Cool New Product For Your Old Mopar!

keithb7

I hope this ok here. I am not affiliated with this product. I just bought it to try it out and think there are likely many here who would really benefit from it. I sure will love this upgrade in both of my old Mopars. It's a great solution for the price. Simple very effective.

I bumped into this idea a little while ago. A simple bluetooth circuit board. I did some more research to learn, you can find this stereo option that can run on DC power as low as 5V DC. I found one on E-Bay from China. They cost about $10-$15. Seek out Wuzhi Bluetooth on Ebay.  It took about a month to arrive and should be covid free by now. I bought the 50Wx2 power amp version as a trial. I see that a 100Wx2 stereo power amp is also available. I am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds. I will hook this up to my old 6V 1953 Chrysler. Likely order another one for my '38 Plymouth. All I need is a speaker or two. It's simple, cheap, and then I can listen to all the songs I can handle via my iphone.  I'll just hide it up under the dash. It's very small. Set the volume and leave it. Everything can be controlled through my phone. I am not affiliated with this product in any way. Just a happy buyer, thought the vintage car community could benefit from this.

See my further explanation and demo here:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I did that to the 51 last fall.  I used a Pyle marine amp with bluetooth  to do the deed, pair of 5x7 Polk Audio coaxial speakers in the back using a set of oak adapters I made to bolt he speakers to the rear shelf.  I use the original wiper switch as the on/off for the amp.  Works pretty good and I never have to listen to stupid DJ's chattering.

• Like 1

Yep, same, did it on my '37 Dodge couple months ago. Nice, neat, cheap and discrete setup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I hope this ok here. I am not affiliated with this product. I just bought it to try it out and think there are likely many here who would really benefit from it. I sure will love this upgrade in both of my old Mopars. It's a great solution for the price. Simple very effective.

I bumped into this idea a little while ago. A simple bluetooth circuit board. I did some more research to learn, you can find this stereo option that can run on DC power as low as 5V DC. I found one on E-Bay from China. They cost about $10-$15. Seek out Wuzhi Bluetooth on Ebay.  It took about a month to arrive and should be covid free by now. I bought the 50Wx2 power amp version as a trial. I see that a 100Wx2 stereo power amp is also available. I am pleasantly surprised how good it sounds. I will hook this up to my old 6V 1953 Chrysler. Likely order another one for my '38 Plymouth. All I need is a speaker or two. It's simple, cheap, and then I can listen to all the songs I can handle via my iphone.  I'll just hide it up under the dash. It's very small. Set the volume and leave it. Everything can be controlled through my phone. I am not affiliated with this product in any way. Just a happy buyer, thought the vintage car community could benefit from this.

See my further explanation and demo here:

Very cool Keith. How did you make the power connection? My headlight switch is full!

2 hours ago, derbydad276 said:

I'm guessing it doesn't care that we have positive ground 

It's not a ground unit, you just wired it up to +ve and -ve wires of the unit and the speaker wires. I have mine stuck with double-sided tape to the back of the glove box.

I plan to use the same source as the Radio. It will be powered only when the key is on.

factory wiring shows the radio powered from the hot side of the gas gauge

Hi Keith,

Very cool. I ordered one from eBay.

I plan to put it in my '39 Plymouth. In the '39 the radio has an integral speaker in the middle of the dash. I plan to remove the radio & put a single speaker there connected to this unit.

Does anyone know how to wire a single speaker to the unit's two stereo outputs? Do I just attach both to the one speaker's input?

Also, the car is still 6v positive ground. Do I attach the negative lead from the car's wiring harness to the red or the black power leads on this unit?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

@Pete I have not installed mine yet. I am distracted with fuel system problems in my '38 Ply. I will get around to hooking it up eventually and can report my findings once completed.  It's going in my '53 Chrysler which also has a single speaker built into the dash. I am considering my speaker options. 1 or 2. Not settled on yet.

Edited by keithb7

Don't over think it, red wire (+ve) goes to ground on your car and black wire (-ve) goes to power source from your wiring circuit. It would be wise to have a switch and a fuse (2 amp) inline.

If you only have one speaker than just one of the speaker outputs from the unit.

You can make an easy ghost channel system with 3 speakers, and that's what I did on several stereos.

Just wire left and right as normal. Then, also wire the ghost speaker to the two red wires

(grab the black ones and you'll get nothing). 

The ghost channel helps stereo sound in cars, where there can be too much separation or dropout at certain volumes.

It's still stereo, but you get that, plus a third channel, which is the musical/electrical difference of the Left and Right.

It won't be as loud as either channel, but it nicely fills in the sound in a very live acoustic environment.

And, you can put an on/off switch on the ghost to mute it, and then see the difference in sound.

It's usually somewhat smoother, improving the mid-low voice of the system but not the real bass.

On the P15 I put very small left and right speakers under the parcel shelf. Then I put the ghost speaker in the old speaker hole with a 1/4" wood baffle board, painted black.

Make the board fit the original screw locations, and screw any 5.5" speaker to back of the board. Blacken the screw heads so the won't show thru the grille.

This makes up for the fact that a round speaker really doesn't fit the oddball Plymouth speaker mounting hole pattern.

I don't know if other Mopars have this issue with the irregular speaker.

I hooked up my 50Wx2 bluetooth stereo as per above, today. My ‘53 Windsor has a single speaker in the dash.  I utilized it. Hooked up 1 speaker only to the bluetooth amp. No problem. Sounds fine. Sounds like modern music coming thru an old AM single speaker radio. Looks stock as I hid the little system in the glove box. 

My stock AM radio has a black power from the ignition switch to the radio. It keys off and on with the ignition. I cut that wire, after the fuse. I used a mechanical butt-splice and crimped the wires together. Then soldered the connection and covered it in heat shrink.  Black wire from my ignition, to black negative wire from the bluetooth power cord. Red from the bluetooth power cord to chassis frame ground. All connections were soldered and heat shrink was  used to cover everything up nicely. Easy hook up. Sounds good. Appears stock. For $15? I’m very pleased. 

Photo: Speaker is here in dash behind grill. You can see the little bluetooth stereo in my glove box. I think I will some type of enclosure around it. 

7569B764-88A0-49DA-818A-580823F8E7DB.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I got this speaker for the same amp:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/dash-speakers/products/5x7-inch-standard-series-dash-replacement-speaker?variant=31332590350

It should fit right in the dash, at least it will on my 1939 Plymouth. It has two voice coils so it will do stereo from the single speaker. It's 5 x 7 inches and has low power requirements, so it should be a good match for this amp. Also, Retrosound has a unique mounting system that is very flexible for custom installs. I've tested this amp & speaker together and it sounds good. I haven't had time yet to install it in the car.

Pete

• Thanks 1