Carter BB part ID

maok

Can any one identify this part, it fell out of my carb when I was adjusting the float level and giving the bowl a good clean. I cannot seem to figure out where it belongs. I also can't find it in any rebuild kit.

IMAG3237.jpg.53d27580876d5196906998a785b8abf3.jpg

Edited by maok
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Looks like the shut off valve for the bowl inlet to me.  Here's a pic of mine, pointy end goes into the fitting and the float works against the flat end

20200120_144655.jpg

That was my initial thought when I saw it on the bench, there is already one ilke yours in there and it's too long to be a the needle for this setup.

It makes no sense of where it could have been fitted in the carb.

it is the needle float that control the flow of gas into the carb.  The rubber end or poiny end goes toward the fuel pump.  Your rebuild directions should have shown this part.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com[

With more digging, the mystery is starting to reveal itself....lol

It looks like someone in the past has left this longer needle in the bowl behind without realizing it. Or it was stuck somewhere they couldn't see....lol!  It does not work in the seat in this carb, way too long

IMAG3238.jpg.7d46b31e5613da682baa68e0b34eb4bf.jpg

Now, does anyone know where one of the check balls have gone...lol!

9 hours ago, maok said:

With more digging, the mystery is starting to reveal itself....lol

It looks like someone in the past has left this longer needle in the bowl behind without realizing it. Or it was stuck somewhere they couldn't see....lol!  It does not work in the seat in this carb, way too long

They are probably still looking for that needle!   ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, maok said:

Now, does anyone know where one of the check balls have gone...lol!

Now that is Only funny if your rebuild kit came with a set of new ones, otherwise it's time to gather the neighborhood kids an have a Easter Ball hunt!  ?

DJ

I'm now wondering if it was in there after all.

Thanks Sniper, I do have an exploded diagram of the carb, not that much different to the updraft version, and I know that there should be another ball (larger) in there, however, I think it may not have been in there when I opened it up. Or most likely it has fallen out...lol

• Like 1

Take a good hard look for it down in the bore.  I recently rebuilt 3 BB carbs.  I thought one carb was missing both check balls.....turned out, they were both in there but held in by a powdery  deposit between the ball and the bore that almost completely covered the balls.   Worked at them with a long sewing needle and some spray carb cleaner and finally got them free.  Also,  on one of the carbs, marked BBR, there was a very light compression spring between the discharge check ball and the brass plug.  This spring doesn't show up in any exploded view I could find for a BB carb so I left it out when I put the carb back together.  Somewhere in this carb's long lost past someone must have put it in there.  I'm not quite sure where I  got this carb from, it is an extra for me right now, but maybe someday I will mount it on one of my 218s to see how it runs with and without the check valve spring. A project for a later date. Regards.

• Like 1

Send a big THANK YOU to Maok for starting this thread.  I've been trying to revive my '52 Cambridge after sitting for 20+ years.   It would start with gas poured down the carburetor, then die immediately.   When I saw this thread discussing which direction the needle valve points, a light bulb went on in my head.  I removed the fuel line at the carburetor and the needle valve was pointing the wrong way.  Reversed the valve, added gas, and the engine started right up on the first attempt!  I'm very pleased.

Thanks again,

Harold

• Like 2