Main Seal

If it's the rope seal, then the crankshaft has to be dropped enough to clean the old one out and work the new rope in...that's best done with the flywheel off, and there's a few steps required to accomplish that...the rubber seal might be the modern design that you have already seen done...

The 2 piece seal as far as I can tell is near impossible to change on the trucks with the motor in, I could only ever change the bottom 1/2, I wasn’t even aware there was a rope seal style,  but possibly that’s on the really old engines or US versions.  

Mine is the steel backed rubber style, which is nothing like more modern engine seals

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, question regarding the rear seal.  I've seen a 'rope seal' mentioned on a few other threads, but am unsure what that is.

I'm rebuilding a 201 flat six and, in the engine rebuild kit I received from Kanter, was a Best gasket kit, with a two-piece seal (1/2 of it pictured below).  Is that the only seal for the rear oil seal then?  It seems like there should be another gasket/seal that goes immediately behind where the thrust bearing would be, but I don't see anything like it in the gasket kit.

Am I missing something, or do I just use the two piece seal?

Thanks for any help

HEImXAC5NqHbRD-IwA2f0KodZPpPUK7nM0VcWReeo1lNW_9CuJgSR-gWvl6bt1st4LLC9eyCop_fNEQ3m96jgFEefkJ3rpOuQlr9EwR6FhZwjI8pGJU6ecsfx0s0TwHD2khbYXkTBbHVtNEcTOTLdmuXwzuKBoqFghr_Gr8aZOPj33cAbn4c7GRCra_EoM3rN_m8JugweLGCeN8r0h0_nf-RrW8StW-CUj7JlTD-vt867VQoCcQGXgcRm1B82rzf1zBpkI-wTmfIjysSNPfsRuzwUldAG28zG2mQXCvRqN_YLDzHyc6mAH2YGoK9cG8Nh8fNdhyfO518I-gbfXeb5YikEDq5V28CeJb9rR8xAPpQMyrJEjpexvH2_VrddSBa3bligCmARaCD1M1HcHxU_93-kB1llHdDB8VLnnlhzlPNlLRDWOXM72bw_SV4RZQdexRvz4aLrtRyiaJk1AwB3FXNx1U7tr_sGTSCO0rO9WiIl4JtWyC4eEkBIEAe1wT8GXJm1LaDimTFv1CH1bkP0qoZnLdolkahHuD88uXcpLrKgKkGXta0jdOj6cjwyldp7PwDygx7fHUB0Iwn_rZaVVWPhSDySoVilwTpfZ8fpmrDTMRFLleEKNda5BlgSx198eE_ZK0GMy7Tu87-zXM_ckVXcqWXYaAr_NicpAhB9Dx4lpDtjQPbwpy7BiEv=w732-h975-no

(edit: Obviously, the engine is out of the car)

Edited by dalewalt
clarification

Hey Jim,

It's possible to replace the rear main without completely pulling the crank, but I can't imagine doing this with the engine installed. Much easier to pull it. The photo below is of a 251, crank raised off the bearings about 1.5". This provided just enough clearance to work on everything. However if the crank is rusty at the seal location, you might need to polish it.  "This may or may not help" 

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 2

H Suhling, I have the same type of seal (rubber).  Along with the two seal halves, I have two h-shaped pieces (like in the first picture below).  Can you tell me what they're used for/where they go?  (my engine is in the second picture)

Thanks

IMG_1714_copy_2268x3024.jpg

IMG_20200504_135617484.jpg

18 hours ago, dalewalt said:

H Suhling, I have the same type of seal (rubber).  Along with the two seal halves, I have two h-shaped pieces (like in the first picture below).  Can you tell me what they're used for/where they go?  (my engine is in the second picture)

Thanks

IMG_1714_copy_2268x3024.jpg

IMG_20200504_135617484.jpg

The “H” pieces go into the main cap along with the 1/2 of the seal of my memory is correct...along with a bit of RTV or gasket maker

2 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

The “H” pieces go into the main cap along with the 1/2 of the seal of my memory is correct...along with a bit of RTV or gasket maker

Ah, so something like this:

IMG_20200508_201037319.jpg.edd0e850afcc237c0d67a2f48c523453.jpg

Thanks much Nifty!

• Like 1