Modifications

plymouthcranbrook

Been thinking about changes for a while now but finally broke down and ordered a two barrel progressive carb set up from Langdon’s. Looked into a Carter YF set up but as was explained to me by an expert from The Carb Shop to do it right was a pretty extensive project.  Supposed to be here by Friday. Hopefully it will warm up enough to swap things over in the near future.  Thinking about a 6  volt alternator but shipping from the supplier that I found searching here is about 20% of the cost of the part so I am exploring other options.

Keen to know how it performs, I'm assuming its the weber 32/36 STYLE of carb conversion you are referring to.  I am also considering this as well, keep us updated.

I have the 6 volt alternator in my shed now, its more like 60% postage cost for me...:(

I'm currently dummy fitting it for alignment, which is a PITA on the my '37 Dodge, was much easier on the '28 Chrysler.

It looks like I need a different shaped top bracket, the one for the generator does not look to work.

Yes using the 32/36 . Most likely be  a little while before embarking on this but will keep you informed. Supposed to be set up for individual car so I will see.  As far as the alternator goes the shipping from Quality power is $40.00 from them to me, about 25% of the cost of the set up. So I am looking locally to see if anyone here has access to one. Local rebuilding shop is very good so I am going to talk to them. Generator charges ok and no issues but if I take a night trip might be a problem.. 

• Like 1

I was just on ebay and I found several 6 volt positive ground black alternators with the bracket and free shipping for around $174.

If you have a good alternator or small motor shop they can change the internal ressiter on the Delco 10sc Alternator very easily from what I have read

This is the describtion for the item

Alternator Black 1 One Wire 6 Volt Positive Ground 60 Amp, Bracket, 5/8" Pulley

Rich Hartung

I run a single weber 32/36 from langdons on my coupe and it runs great!  Took a lot of trial and error to get it to run perfect but once I did it was a huge improvement over the rebuilt stock carter BB I had.  I did end up going with larger jetting than what tom has in the carb out of the box.  I run langdons exhaust headers and a pcv valve set up I put together.  Without bigger idle jets, it ran too lean for me.  Langdons instructions also says a fuel pressure regulator is not needed but my set up seems to run better with one set to about 4 psi.  I have already put 32,000 miles on this setup in just 4 years.  I drive this 30 miles to work and back 3-4 times a week on the freeway with stock 3.9 rear end.

20190131_084245.jpg

Edited by Polsonator2
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

So with warmer weather I finally began to install the carb and manifold adapter last week. Just about done,  most problem was getting the adapter installed onto the manifold.  Support bars on the manifold make it very hard to start the nuts without doing contortions that I seem to have a lot of trouble doing anymore.  Throttle adapter threaded onto the stock shaft and bolted right up.  Had it running briefly until I found a small leak in the fuel line that I have to fix. Had to take the Heater tunnel from the core to the firewall off as to mount the carb .I don't bend that way naturally  and also the mixture screw is pointed right at the box as well as the idle speed adjuster.  I plan to get everything set and then drive it a little bit before reinstalling the tunnel.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

19 hours ago, Polsonator2 said:

I had to file down the sides of my adapter to get the nuts to turn on the bolts. Also had to cut the studs from the manifold down a little.

If I weren't so stubborn I should have done that but I did not. It is connected and started and had it idling today. Just rough adjustments and already running better  than the B&B controlled drip. I have to put insurance on it and go around the block a few times to really see but so far looks good.   Going to try to be sure all is OK before reattaching heater tunnel.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, 40Club said:

Langdon sells Holley Weber Carbs, Red Line sells Weber 32/36 carbs

I went with the EMPI as I wanted a new carb.  I did see the rebuilds but decided the other was better. Only real aggravation is getting to the adjustment screws. They are either under the back of the carb or behind another part of the carb that blocks access. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got everything adjusted finally today and went around the block(about 15 miles, we have big blocks here). Really happy with the results. No more spitting, stumbling, farting anything like that. Smooth clutch engagement, nice drivabilty and smooth running. Only mild complaint is that with the smaller primary you sometimes need to  give it a little more pedal to get up to speed at a reasonable rate.  As I mentioned there were the usual issues with fitting something like this but all in all not bad. Now to reinstall the heater box and on to the next project.

Well as always there is a little kick in the butt on any project just as you think you are done.  I installed the heater box a couple of days ago and realized that with the manual choke the size of the box is just large enough to interfere with the cable operation.  Most days I drive the car the choke is not essential anyway but I am considering either cutting a notch in the box and then just re-fiberglassing over it or drilling a small hole in the box and pushing the cable through it.  Have to see what seems best although any other suggestions happily accepted.

Well your year of car should not have a manual choke. That is the problem. Should be automatic type.

Not sure myself of type choke mounting as I have only owned 1950 models. They (1950 Plymouths, other Mopars used them earlier) had the Sisson choke that mounted on the exhaust manifold and have a rod up to the carb. to operate choke butterfly.

Your choice modify the heater duct or change carbs and choke type.

DJ

55 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Well your year of car should not have a manual choke. That is the problem. Should be automatic type.

Not sure myself of type choke mounting as I have only owned 1950 models. They (1950 Plymouths, other Mopars used them earlier) had the Sisson choke that mounted on the exhaust manifold and have a rod up to the carb. to operate choke butterfly.

Your choice modify the heater duct or change carbs and choke type.

DJ

As I had mentioned at the start of this thread I purposely installed the Langhorn kit to  improve the drive ability of the car.  Manual choke was my choice.  Not complaining about it, just commenting regarding what was needed.  Ball and Ball carb was shot and beyond another rebuild.  I am happy with the choice and kit.  

I use a manual choke with my langdons 32/36 weber. Works great!  I was able to get more power out of mine by getting bigger primary and secondary main jets.  Also I had to go with a really large idle jet to solve me lean issue on engine deceleration popping going down steep hills.  Using Langdons dual headers with some blown out glasspacks I also have a pcv setup which also leans it out.  

Edited by Polsonator2