LEFT OF RIGHT HAND THREAD.

48ply1stcar

I think the drivers side lug bolts are right-hand thread and left-hand thread on the passenger side.  But after 72 years and 52 of those in my garage you're never sure if "Did I change that one or not?" So yesterday when I went to remove the front passenger tire I realized that the lug bolts were not marked. So I put the impact wrench to remove a lug by turning clockwise I was a little stunned when it didn't loosen.  So I put the wrench on a different lug and turned that one counter-clockwise nothing.  In the second photo you can see the drum attached to the tire. What you can;t see in the picture is the "L" stamped on the tip of the bolt.  That's a great place to mark the bolt.

IMG_20200331_161456.jpg

IMG_20200331_161411.jpg

When the front drums were originally manufactured the center hub for the left driver's side was painted red for quick and easy left side.... left hand threads identification.

Not sure how many years but from 1946 thru at least 1954 

Just a comment from a bystander;  in this forum some folks are from countries that the driver sits on the right side.  Use careful terminology, for them the driver's side means their right, therefore right hand threads!  BTW, along with Mopar, Studebaker use left-hand threads during similar years.  I don't recall who else......

The logic of the right/left threads was that you tighten bolt on both sides by turning wrench toward the front of vehicle.  To loosen bolts, turn wrench toward the rear.

Edited by dmartin_egroup
a further comment on right/left threads
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I should mention here I can only comment on US produced cars as I know nothing about export MoPar cars.

Oh except the cars in Cuba..ha ha!

49 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

HEY, they were marked on the tip, inside the drum.  That's the wierd part.

Those must be replacements. All the ones I've seen have an L or R stamped right on the head. 

14 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

When the front drums were originally manufactured the center hub for the left driver's side was painted red for quick and easy left side.... left hand threads identification.

Not sure how many years but from 1946 thru at least 1954 

I own 2 1967 Plymouth Furys. One has left hand threaded lug nuts on the drivers side and right hand threaded lug nuts on the passenger side. The other car has right hand threaded lug nuts on both sides which I'm sure that one of previous owners changed at one time. The car had non-original wheels on it when I bought it. I don't know when Mopar actually stopped using the left hand lugs and nuts.

John R

12 hours ago, John Reddie said:

I own 2 1967 Plymouth Furys. One has left hand threaded lug nuts on the drivers side and right hand threaded lug nuts on the passenger side. The other car has right hand threaded lug nuts on both sides which I'm sure that one of previous owners changed at one time. The car had non-original wheels on it when I bought it. I don't know when Mopar actually stopped using the left hand lugs and nuts.

John R

I've read that 1972 was the last year for the left handed lugs.  

• 3 years later...

dodge-brothers-logo.jpg.e1d523e538c479bb3dc519d9cd3c4e75.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 6:55 PM, dmartin_egroup said:

Just a comment from a bystander;  in this forum some folks are from countries that the driver sits on the right side.  Use careful terminology, for them the driver's side means their right, therefore right hand threads!  BTW, along with Mopar, Studebaker use left-hand threads during similar years.  I don't recall who else......

The logic of the right/left threads was that you tighten bolt on both sides by turning wrench toward the front of vehicle.  To loosen bolts, turn wrench toward the rear.

37Dodge Coupe in the houzz, 91107, this was the easiest way to remember tightening and loosening, just remember keep it simple turning to front is tightening,  turning toward rear is loosening! I've had my 37 since 1989 paid, $ 1500.0 , complete car !

0_IMG_20180214_111942~2.jpg

When facing the engine from the front, the left side is to my right.  And around here, driver on the left is right, and the passenger sits on the side that is left, the right side.  Enough fun with homonyms (words that sound alke but have different meanings).   Why not use "starboard" and "port", which mean what they mean, no matter how you look at it? 

6 hours ago, Richard Delgado said:

dodge-brothers-logo.jpg.e1d523e538c479bb3dc519d9cd3c4e75.jpg

37Dodge Coupe in the houzz, 91107, this was the easiest way to remember tightening and loosening, just remember keep it simple turning to front is tightening,  turning toward rear is loosening! I've had my 37 since 1989 paid, $ 1500.0 , complete car ! 

Another easy way to get going on lugs is have one extra left side and an extra right side,  then when it's time to work on that side try out the extra lug by hand tightening but only use the extra lugs and I.D. them so the user will know which way and on which side! On my 37 Dodge, the driver side lugs are removed by turning toward the rear of the car or clockwise!

0_IMG_20180214_111942~2.jpg

4 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

When facing the engine from the front, the left side is to my right.  And around here, driver on the left is right, and the passenger sits on the side that is left, the right side.  Enough fun with homonyms (words that sound alke but have different meanings).   Why not use "starboard" and "port", which mean what they mean, no matter how you look at it? 

The first time I picked up a wrench it was drilled into me that, all left/right identification was when setting in the drivers seat.   Holds true in planes, trains and automobiles as well a construction equipment.   It's only confusing when on a tractor converted to a forklift and the seat is facing the back.   If buying parts for the tractor, from the dealer, not the converter, it can be fun.

When I was 16 in 1969 my dad told me to change the brakes shoes on his 1960 Valiant. The driver's side went ok but I struggled to get the lugs off on the passenger side. I finally with brute strength got the first bolt off and proceeded to do the next only to have the same problem so again with brute strength I got that one off. I went to my dad and asked if they were hard to loosen. He said sometimes and then asked, why? I said because I snapped in half 2 lugs. He then said what way did you turn it? I said the normal way, counter-clockwise. He wasn't happy but informed me they were L.H. threads

After I got the P15 I was trying to remove the front right wheel.  Couldn't get those lugs to move.  Got the impact out and tried that a couple of times.  No go so I decided to stop before I broke something and thinking that those lugs were rusted in place.  Figured I would deal with that later and removed the wheel by taking the axle nut off.  A few days later I remembered about left hand lugs.  Some time in the past history of this car someone switched the axels and drums around.  The left hand lugs are on the right and the right hand lugs are on the left.