Polarizing your 6v regulator....and clutch question!

I just finished making a complete wiring harness for my 1947 WC, it is all original.  I also bought and installed a new voltage regulator.  I have not hooked it up as of yet because I also put in a new battery box and battery cables.  My question is, how do I polarize my regulator?  I want to make sure because I don't want to ruin a perfectly good regulator(expensive).

Secondly, how difficult is it to put in a new clutch on the 218?

Thank you in advance, love this forum!

Al

4 hours ago, Al Peterson said:

I just finished making a complete wiring harness for my 1947 WC, it is all original.  I also bought and installed a new voltage regulator.  I have not hooked it up as of yet because I also put in a new battery box and battery cables.  My question is, how do I polarize my regulator?  I want to make sure because I don't want to ruin a perfectly good regulator(expensive).

Secondly, how difficult is it to put in a new clutch on the 218?

Thank you in advance, love this forum!

Al

Trying to answer your questions:

1st - voltage regulator: I  am not aware which regulator WC`s originally have got installed . The picture below is out of a Delco Remy Service Bulletin. In doubt search the www. using your regulator type / part-No. as keywords, I am sure you`ll find plenty of info.

regulator_polarization.jpg.96775d5682e22c38bb5fcda573b74e01.jpg

2nd - clutch installation: easy to not too difficult.

O.k., since you asked, I assume you didn`t install a clutch before (?) I don`t know your skills, so forgive me, if I am too basic.

> Do you have a manual available ? This will help with the basic questions.

> Tools: Essentially you need some spanners, better a ratchet wrench, even better a torque wrench. The only special tool which should be used is a centering guide. Or a tube which helps to align / center the clutch disk (where the red arrow in the picture is)

> There are several steps, installation of the clutch parts (pressure plate, disc, springs, cover, etc.) itselves, installation of throw-out bearing, actuating fork lever (sorry, if i use wrong words), clutch linkage ... maybe sounds difficult, isn`t if someone has a bit of a feeling for technical things. If you need more assistance yo`ll get it. Just ask.

clutch_asm.jpg.84d2835f417c88035213c4e4b0914c47.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, this was a case of too much information(on my part).  It was an exceedingly easy task and everything worked out perfectly.  

As for the clutch, I am capable and have all the tools.  I just didn't know if it was an easy job.  I have a friend with a '50 Chev truck and it looks simple but is a pain in the rear.  So I thought I'd ask before I started the project.  Thanks again for the information.

Al

• Like 1

Just a quick note on the clutch job, if you're not familiar with these trucks. You don't need to remove the bell housing. In fact that would be a monumental task. Instead, remove the transmission and remove the lower inspection pan of the bell housing. You can now drop the clutch out the bottom of the bell housing. Flywheel too, if you are getting it ground for the new clutch.

• Like 2