Hemi 291 transmission options?

rkldesign

I've picked up a complete 291 hemi from a 1955 Desoto with a powerflite trans attached.  If I decide to use another trans, does anyone have any first hand knowledge in this aspect?  Manual or automatic is fine.  Any past experience is helpful as well.

I am putting the hemi in a 1949 Dodge Route Van, better power and gearing to achieve better highway speeds.

Thanks, Richard

No first hand knowledge, but I know where there is some.  Wilcap makes a bunch of adapters to fit various transmissions of both the manual and automatic variety to your DeSoto.  Your choice of manufacturers too.  Got a Ford/GM/Chrysler trans lying around?  Wilcap probably has an adapter to make it fit. 

http://www.wilcap.com/Hemi.html#Hemi Adapters

Thanks for all the info, contacted Wilcap and Wayfarer, will see what options I have and post some answers.

One thing for sure I will need to replace the ring and pinion to something more realistic.  My current ratio is 4.89 or higher.  Its a 9-5/8" ring and it looks like my only option will be a 4.30 ring from Vintage Power Wagons.  Unless there is any suggestions for another source or third member.  Most don't know this but the Routevan has a IRS , Dodge Brothers Style.  This is a pic of the last Route Van chassis that i restored in 2014

rear.jpg

The 4.89 would work well with an od trans that has a reduction around .7 or so giving a final around 3.2 or so.

I make adapters for the TF if you want to use an A518.

Gary

• Like 1

Pretty sure an A518 is way overkill for a flattie, an A500 is more it's size.  Smaller than the A518, meaning easier to fit, lighter than an A518, meaning easier manhandle about when fitting it up plus saving weight on a car is a good thing.  The A500 has a lower first gear ratio for quicker off the line starts.

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Pretty sure an A518 is way overkill for a flattie, an A500 is more it's size.  Smaller than the A518, meaning easier to fit, lighter than an A518, meaning easier manhandle about when fitting it up plus saving weight on a car is a good thing.  The A500 has a lower first gear ratio for quicker off the line starts.

I believe he is running a HEMI

On 3/30/2020 at 10:47 PM, rkldesign said:

I've picked up a complete 291 hemi from a 1955 Desoto with a powerflite trans attached.  If I decide to use another trans, does anyone have any first hand knowledge in this aspect?  Manual or automatic is fine.  Any past experience is helpful as well.

I am putting the hemi in a 1949 Dodge Route Van, better power and gearing to achieve better highway speeds.

Thanks, Richard

I believe there are adapters Hemis to Mopar TorqueFlite automatics.  I had a small version of that trans w/overdrive called an A500.  I believe it was frequently used in the 5.9 l Dakota pickups.  I also believe those Dakotas also had a 5 spd manual.

I love that IRS.  Never seen one. That be too heavy a unit to go under a car?

Just a note of clarification. The smaller A904/A500 trans is not suitable for use with the EarlyHemi engines due to the higher starter location. It simply doesn't fit; yes, that includes the Dak starter.

If you really really need/want to use an A500 with an EarlyHemi then plan on buying someone's adapter and then rotating the transmission bolt pattern CCW 1 or 2 degrees to lower the starter. No, I don't do it.  The trans will work fine, just like being on a high crown road.

And yes, The A904/A500 is the unit of choice for the L6.