50 Plymouth electric wiper conversion

50mech

Finally got around to the wiper conversion. I am using a 47 Chrysler electric wiper assembly. Here's what I've found. Width is no different, if it is it's not discernable. The unit goes in like it was made for it.

I did not check to see how much is correct and original on mine.

Differences, at least the ones I've encountered;

Wiper arms will need changed from something accepting the larger straight splined piece to ones accepting the small tapered spline shaft.

Wiper arm bezels originally have pegs that stick through and are secured with push nuts. I need to find bezels with screw holes.

It will absolutely not clear the radio. I will be cutting off a large portion of the radio which doesn't work anyhow.

The original vacuum motor mount needs bent forward just a hair ( 1/8" or less) so the arms going from motor to shaft don't hit it.

Finally,  have to attach the bracket to the dash support, could be as simple as sheet metal screws. I will likely use rivet nuts.

IMG_20200329_144944584.jpg

IMG_20200329_144958496.jpg

IMG_20200329_144918399.jpg

LRM_20200329_145233.jpg

IMG_20200329_145005490.jpg

Lots of fab involved but it should save about $200 over a 12 volt setup from Newport Engineering! More so if you are still 6 Volt!

Finished pics will be appreciated by many.

DJ

If you are on 12v the motor can probably be easily replaced with a 12v unit. Frame size and shaft length choices in 12v are pretty abundant. Otherwise add a resistor...

Edited by 50mech

For now I've drilled out the original bezels to take a screw. Quick and dirty  until I get proper bezels. They're in bad shape anyhow.

Thread size on the swivel mounts is 8-32.

And here's the radio cutout.

IMG_20200329_164106892.jpg

IMG_20200329_164102222.jpg

IMG_20200329_171236144.jpg

IMG_20200329_164055017.jpg

And that's basically it.  I screwed the swivels and bezels together marked where the holes in the bracket were on the dash support , drilled and put in a couple rivet nuts then bolted it up with some rubber washers on each side of the bracket and metal on the bolt side.

One of my wiper arms springs were gone so now I just have to decide on either anco 42-02 (1/2"). Or 42-03 (5/8") drum adapters for the shafts and get a pair of 11" wiper arms. The ones on it were 1/2" drum but I'll just replace both.

Here's the decorative radio back in place and the shafts sticking out of the bezels.

The switch goes in the original hole and uses the original knob.

IMG_20200402_145418373.jpg

IMG_20200402_152005938.jpg

IMG_20200402_145441210.jpg

When I put new arms and blades on my 51 I found out you have to use the Anco arms and wipers specified for the 51 at Rock Auto, I thought I could up size to 15" blades, but they will not attach to the arms and the arms that fit the 15" blades are too long to keep the blade on the glass all the time.   Your setup looks similar to mine.

Arms that worked for me ANCO 4102, being adjustable the length can be varied within a limited range

Blades that worked with those arms ANCO 2012, these are 12" blades.  2015 was the 15" blades I tried.

Edited by Sniper
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sniper said:

When I put new arms and blades on my 51 I found out you have to use the Anco arms and wipers specified for the 51 at Rock Auto, I thought I could up size to 15" blades, but they will not attach to the arms and the arms that fit the 15" blades are too long to keep the blade on the glass all the time.   Your setup looks similar to mine.

Arms that worked for me ANCO 4102, being adjustable the length can be varied within a limited range

Blades that worked with those arms ANCO 2012, these are 12" blades.  2015 was the 15" blades I tried.

Looks like that arm comes with the barrel adapters. So that's cool. I was thinking about trying to find some arms with a common modern fitting for blades......idk if that will work out or not.

Oops nevermind, looks like those do have a modern type end adapter.

I may very well go with the same thing...thank you.

Edited by 50mech

I believe they are 1/2", I'll try to remember to check tomorrow. 

The arms are refillable, but Anco's website is extremely less than useful.  You'd think they'd show the refill part number in the listing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

I believe they are 1/2", I'll try to remember to check tomorrow. 

The arms are refillable, but Anco's website is extremely less than useful.  You'd think they'd show the refill part number in the listing.

Don't worry about checking. I think I'm going to get the exact same setup.

2dr is calling for 4101 but it looks like the difference is length. 4101 being 8-11.5 and 4102 being 10-13. Mine were 11 so I'll go with the cheaper 4102's anyhow.

Had I not needed a new arm anyhow just 1/2" barrel adapters, grand total here is about $65-70

Edited by 50mech
  • Like 1