Leaf spring u-bolts

The leaf spring u-bolts on my ‘52 3/4 ton were loose. I noticed some rattling last night on a short drive when I bounced over a pot hole. Of course, I sheared off the nut on the last of the 4 bolts while tightening it (I had let the bolts soak over-night in penetrating oil). The others tightened.

The leaf springs on the 3/4 ton are narrow, less than 2” , maybe 2.8125”. I measured the existing u-bolts at 2” x 9” x .5625”. The shock mount bracket holes are 2.5” apart, so the u-bolts on there now are spread apart to fit the 2.5” holes, That doesn’t seem right, but I’m unsure?

Looking at the 52 parts book, I can’t identify the springs and shock mount bracket configuration on my truck. The bottom bracket on mine has the shock mounted on it. The drawing in the parts book doesn’t, I may be looking at it wrong.

I need to find the correct u-bolts but am unsure what u-bolt to choose or if I need to replace other parts, could someone point me to a source or offer advice?

Thanks,

-roland

are you sure about that 2"  seems very narrow bolts to me...but then you say 2.8125 ...if the latter..check the diameter of the tube itself and go from there are they 2.750 tube or 3 inch tube.....buy  u bolts of the right width/length to clamp the tube, spring and plate and allow minimum 3-4 threads beyond the nut minimum....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks -

Sorry, I meant to type that the leaf spring width is narrow at 1.8125, not 2.8125. I remeasured, the u-bolts are 2” wide, inside, at the top of the leaf spring by 9” long. Without removing it to get an accurate measurement, the shock mount bracket appears to have 2.5” spaced holes. The 52 parts manual does have a listing for 1 13/16” and 2” width bolts.

I’m wondering if those springs are not original since the axle is not? I don’t know what the original 3/4 ton spring widths were.

-roland

B3C7EEE7-631C-4CDA-B9F3-9B30DCE7914F.jpeg

On 3/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, minicooper said:

Thank you CO54, I ordered the u-bolts from General Spring. They had the 2 x 9 x 1/2 which is what mine measured after re-measuring them. Now, we’ll see how long it takes to get them.

-roland  

Roland,

Welcome, that's the beauty of this site.  Sharing, knowledge, and badgering when needed.  LOL. 

Eric

• Like 1

I personally set jack stands under the axle with a little gap and support the frame so the leaf springs have only the weight of the axle on them, but either way should work.  The leaf springs should be fairly stable because the bolt/pin that holds them together sits inside a recess in the axle, more or less fixing the location side-to-side and fore-aft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lingle said:

I personally set jack stands under the axle with a little gap and support the frame so the leaf springs have only the weight of the axle on them, but either way should work.  The leaf springs should be fairly stable because the bolt/pin that holds them together sits inside a recess in the axle, more or less fixing the location side-to-side and fore-aft.

Thanks! I ended up blocking the frame (set it down on concrete blocks) and supported the axle with 2 more blocks.

-Roland

• Like 1