Trailer Hitch

I have a 52 b3b and need to install a trailer hitch.  I also have an 85 s10 blazer that i am taking the hitch off to put on the pickup.  Measurements indicate it will fit.  Does anyone have a Dodge with a trailer hitch.  I am sure people have put hitches on old Dodge cars and trucks in the past.  Just looking for some advice.  The trailer I have has a 12' bed with a total trailer width of 7.5'.  

Flimsy frame at best. Hope you are hauling feathers or pillows. As long as hitch mounts through the vertical flanges of the frame,and you add plates to spread the forces. 
my 51 rear frame rails were in rough shape,used a ball joint press and very little effort to bring them back. 

D0737A84-B389-40E6-8A4C-3C59EE65278B.jpeg

ECD157E8-65B6-43CC-BA60-37E5B83BC52E.jpeg

E5E16E6E-2B4F-4330-B7D1-1E4B84756036.jpeg

I've done a couple.  Used factory receiver hitches that I picked up at a local auction.   I have no idea what they originally fit, but were nice heavy round tube with angle mounts on both ends and too wide.  They were the type that had a drop bent into the middle to get the hitch tube below the bumer.  cut them down in width, rewelded the ends, drilled some holes.  Done.  older frames look like they are really weak, until you look at newer 'Midsize' truck, which are really bigger than our old 'full size' rigs.  Frame will be fine as long as the hitch mount is big enough to fill the open part of the frame and attached with 4 gr8 bolts per side.  With 300+ hp tow power, I might be concerned, but with (hopefully) 135 or so it'll be fine.

The ones done in the past are gone, but keeping an eye out for a donor to put on the '56.

Edited by kencombs

Thanks for the pictures.  I haven't measured the thickness of the frame on the dodge yet but will.  From the comments i will probably add angle iron cross bracing maybe some box tubing.  I want to keep the ball as close to the back of the truck as I can my trailer is probably too long for the truck.  Probably need too shorten the trailer or get another one but will try mine first.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Here is a picture of the ‘aftermarket’ hitch that was on a parts pickup I recently drug home. The bumper is mounted to the inside of the frame with 2 half inch bolts on each side. If you’re interested, I can post more pics.

1F95E25C-0975-4428-BB80-2831C1508FC1.jpeg

I would appreciate moe pictures if you have them.  I have the small bumper on mine.  I might be able to find a way to attach it to the other one off the s-10.  
Did you ever pull a trailer with this hitch.  My trailer is probably too big  for the truck bit I expect to try it.  Thanks

The pickup this bumper and hitch are on is only for parts and not in running order. I drug it home a couple months ago and have no idea what or how it handled whatever they may have tried to pull. The bumper is only attached on the inside of the frame with two bolts in each side with the hitch welded to it without much support. Probably a “get ‘er done” job, but I think the choice of a chrome plated draw bar makes it pretty special.?

28310C81-F714-4B66-BACB-205EC7CB1B38.jpeg

AB05FC27-9350-4A5E-B5E7-3EF25B034097.jpeg

Not that I would ever pull anything with it, but the previous owner added a hitch made from a plow to my ‘52. Note, it is welded to the frame and to the sheet metal under the tail gate. My 3/4 ton, in its former life, hauled grain.

0A8F25B9-7D70-4BBD-B25B-F9A4987B57DE.jpeg