Passenger side kick panel - heater install B3B

bkahler

Quick question.

Can the cardboard kick panel still be installed in the passenger footwell if the heater is installed?

I'm not quite ready to install the kick panels but would like to proceed with the heater installation.  That's what got me too thinking about the kick panels.  Last thing I want is to have to pull the heater just to install the kick panel!

Thanks!

Brad

47 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Brad;

As I recall the kick panel needed to be in place prior to installing my Mopar Truckmaster heater. I know I had mine in and out 3 or 4 times during the build. Sometimes I shoot from the hip...and pay the price.

Jeff

Well, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking.  I guess I need to decide whether to install the brown interior panels with my black seat, paint the panels and then install or buy black panels.

Oh well :)

Thanks!

Brad

Looks like the psnels will skip in to me..

20200326_132925_compress56.jpg

20200326_132456_compress80.jpg

• Thanks 2

My truck didn't have the panels or even remains of panels when I bought it so I didn't realize there are only three fasteners on the side panels.  I also didn't realize they used push pins and not screws.  The picture with the Model 62  heater in the red truck is just like my setup.  The panel kit I have is from Roberts purchased over 20 years ago.  The fasteners are in a bag but I've never opened it yet!  I figure if I open the bag to soon I'll start losing bits and pieces.  

I guess I need to see if I can fit the panels now and then remove them for later installation.  This will certainly simplify things for me at this stage of the rebuild.

Thanks all!

Brad

You know what you probably can fit that type into a stock set up without any worry. I have an aftermarket Pilothouse interior in my truck and I insulated the living daylights out of my cab. Also have speakers for the stereo system in the kick panels. Thinking back I recall going way over the top on insulation. So much so that it made fit up somewhat difficult. It all worked out in the end though as many of my passengers have commented that they expected squeaks and rattles and instead it is nice and quiet.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

You know what you probably can fit that type into a stock set up without any worry. I have an aftermarket Pilothouse interior in my truck and I insulated the living daylights out of my cab. Also have speakers for the stereo system in the kick panels. Thinking back I recall going way over the top on insulation. So much so that it made fit up somewhat difficult. It all worked out in the end though as many of my passengers have commented that they expected squeaks and rattles and instead it is nice and quiet.

Jeff

Jeff, you bring up something I totally forgot about, insulation!

I'm planning on using the type of sound deadener that comes in sheets and you pressure roll into place.  No matter what I probably should get the insulation in place before I do anything with the heater. Thanks for the reminder!

Brad

Brad;

Well for me insulation was an important part of the build. When I decided to build this truck it was always going to be my daily driver.

I have been in plenty of older vehicles like this that looked good but fell short when it came to reasonable creature comforts. I made my mind up this truck was not going to be noisy or smelly or any of the things that make for an unpleasant driving experience. What I did has worked well for me. It is very quiet as old trucks go and does not get too hot or too cold. I know I was over the top on my efforts with this but 5 years of daily use has made me glad I was.

Jeff

• Like 1