How do you fasten new brake lines to frame?

MarcDeSoto

It depends on whether you want a stock looking setup using 1/4" lines or a more late model setup using 3/16" brake lines........original brake lines were held firm by small sheet metal pieces either bolted onto the frame or spot welded as in the case onto the rear axle.......the end of the metal clamp was bent around the tube holding it firm.......the metal bracket was a rectangular shape about 3/8-7/16th by 1.5" long............if you are not concerned about originality then I'd use "Adel" clamps which originated in the aviation industry and can be obtained in virtualy any size from to hold a 1/8" tube up to 12" or more diameter, 3/16th and 1/4 Adel clamps are common and cheap, they use a metal clamp with a rubber/neoprene sleeve that results in a neat & tidy fixture, admittedly they must be screwed or bolted to the frame but are what most high end hotrods and race cars use..........any good engineering, hot rod, race car or aviation shop should stock them or know where to obtain them or online........just pinched this pic from ebay........andyd   

AdelClamp.jpg

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Like 3

Marc.........if you have the original bolt on clamps theres no reason why you can't reuse them, they as I mentioned generally are held onto the frame by a 3/8 I think SAE/AF headed bolt that has a special type of thread that creates its own thread when screwed into the frame when the lines are attached by the factory.....when undone these bolts leave the thread cut into the hole and so long as you have the little clamp or bracket you just reuse the bolt...........as for whether its a 3/16th or 1/4 size you just use the correct one for whichever size brake line.........its 10.30pm here so I'm not going out to check but am pretty sure the original brake lines are 1/4 tube.......but I could be wrong...........lol............andyd   

• Like 1

Later today I'll get you some pics of factory installed 3/16" brake line fasteners.

Your car uses 3/16" brake lines.

Unless you car is really rusty underneath your factory clips and clamps shoul be easily re-useable.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling

Jeez....I forgot...will.do it tomorrow?

Done....1948 Chrysler brake line clips...same as yours..

20200325_154542_compress96.jpg

20200325_154626_compress26.jpg

20200325_155003_compress14.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

If your using copper or copper alloy tubing for your brakelines i'd recommend the rubber lined clips as posted above and placing the clips about a foot apart for better support as it's more prone to vibration than the original steel tubing.

I'm using the new plastic brake lines.  The reason I asked about the clips in the first place is my car was given such a thick undercoating that a lot of stuff is covered up.  And the car spent its life in the Palm Springs area, but was undercoated like it was being driven in Michigan.  I love having a rust free car now, though!

Plastic isn't DOT approved.

Except air Brakes

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Had to google that, apparently they use nylon brake lines in some light aircraft kits and race cars for weight saving over metal lines, but as Dodgeb4ya states it's NOT for street use.

Edited by 61farnham

Yeh, I would like to be as sure as winning lotto that the Oz rego depts would allow plastic brake lines..............lol..........andyd

Yes, I thought they were plastic, but they didn't pass the magnet test.  They stuck to my magnet like glue!  So Ed is right, they are metal lines coated in a black plastic.  But they look like they are 1/4".  I didn't know they were supposed to be 3/16.  They are kit, with the lines having tags saying what part of the car they go to.  Now I forgot where I bought it.  I don't have the name of the manufacturer.  I wonder if I should try to return these and get 3/16 lines.  Does anyone know a good place to buy brake line kits?