P19 detach body from chassis

Jac

Hello all,

Since a few months, I am the co-owner of a Plymouth Special deluxe business coupe (P19) from 1950.

We want to renovate the chassis and therefore remove the body. We started to remove all connections between body and chassis.

One of the connections that are left are two bolts behind the side fenders as can be seen on the attached pictures. I don't know if and how they should be removed.

Should I remove these? I have tried to loosen the bolt by heating it up with a gas burner and than use an impact wrench. But there was no movement of the bolt or the nut.

Does anyone has experience with separation of the body and the chassis? 

IMG-20200314-WA0020_.jpg

IMG-20200314-WA0018_.jpg

IMG-20200314-WA0019_.jpg

Use a lot of heat on the nut. Oxy/acetylene heat is best Or cut off the bolt flush to it and carefully drill out the bolt as close to size as possible.

You will want to remove the column shifter arm inside of car and unbolt steer box and drop column down to the floor.

Also remove the clutch and brake pedal arms. TheP-15 and P-20 floor removeable panel is very  small compared to earlier models making this a pain to do but otherwise it will be almost impossible to lift the body high enough to clear these!

DJ

Thank you for the reply DJ, I got the bolt loose by heating it for 5 minutes.

I manage to get the column shifter arm removed. Do you mean with unbolting the steer box at the connection with the chassis and keep it connected to the steering arms?

And when removing the body, guide the column through the hole of the body?

My first idea was to pull the column out of the steering box, but I think it will be a struggle to get it back in.

20200328_105632_steerbox.jpg

Try removing the 4? bolts from box to frame so you can lower the column down low so the body can eventually removed by moving body rearward or rolling the frame out from underneath forward. If it do not drop low enough then you will also have remove the pitman arm from the steer box also, hope not but Harbor freight makes a special puller just for the job and is reasonably priced if needed.

DJ

• 1 month later...