1939 D11 Transmission

Hemibear426

I have given up searching for this part shown below and thought I may as well ask the forum before I put it back together without it and hope for the best. I have purchased the Borg-Warner Gear CD and the 1936-1942 Dodge Parts Manual. It is shown in the exploded view of the parts manual but not in the parts listing/ part numbers section. It appears to be a one-year only part. It is called a Synchronizer Stop Ring Spreader Spring and is #24 in the exploded view of a 1939 Dodge D11 Transmission. Any guidance would be welcome.

Thank Ya'll so much,

Mike

Spreader spring 1.jpg

Is that a manual 3 speed with OD bolted on the rear? Is that piece part of the OD? Or the tranny? I’ve think I’ve seen something similar in a 1938 3 speed tranny. The tabs bend over and fold lock down on a trust washer for 2nd gear. Am I close?

Edited by keithb7

Plyroadking,

That is it! Thank you so much! I have never seen one. There was not one in my transmission when I tore it down, but noticed it in the exploded view in the manuals. The car has never run so I did not know if the transmission was functional. Good to hear that it probably won't make much difference in the functioning. Now if I can figure out what the washer/plate is in the attached picture. It came in a Transmission small parts package Part#939731. I have purchased the BorgWarner CD and the 1936-1942 Parts manual and still cannot identify it. I have research the exploded views of Dodge transmissions from 1936-1942 and still no luck. It is larger than the countershaft plates/washers both in outside diameter (2-1/8") and opening diameter (7/8"). It would be to large for the countershaft. I am attempting to reassemble a D11 1939 Transmission. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Transmission plate washer.jpg

KeithB7,

Thanks so much for the reply. Plyroadking knew what the rascal is and all you folks have now got me confident that I can get it back together and be prepared to put all of 97 horsepower to it without concern. ;)

Ya'll are great,

Mike Beyer

Is it a standard transmission or an overdrive transmission? I've never seen that washer in the transmissions I've had apart. Kinda makes me want to go tear apart some of them under the bench and see if any of them have it. I'm almost certain that it's not from a standard transmission, and it's been awhile since I've had an early overdrive apart.

It is a standard, floor shift 3-speed with D11 markings on the back. Please don't go to the trouble to tear one down. I did notice on Ebay that the Transmission Small Parts packages from 1940-1956 do not include this large washer, but the ones for 1937-1939 do (see link below). The inside diameter is too large for any of the shafts or drives in this transmission. If it locks up when I get it back in I may need to buy one of your transmissions under the bench! 

Thank you so much,

Mike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-1938-1939-Plymouth-Dodge-DeSoto-Chrysler-Transmission-Small-Parts-Kit/183154699737?hash=item2aa4deedd9:g:qUMAAMXQ0v1Ra-rT

Transmission marking.jpg

I rebuilt my 1938 P6 3-speed manual tranny a couple of months ago. I too had this same mystery washer. I had no need for it either it seems. I tossed it aside and carried on, reassembling what I took apart, replacing with matched new parts. I suspect the tranny small parts kit fits several years. The washer may be needed on some other model?  

Edited by keithb7

My 38 3-speed was my first tranny rebuild. I started a thread on here and got lots of good support. In summary:

Good tips I heeded was using ¾" oak wood dowels. Those made the countershaft reassembly a breeze. Highly recommend.

Suggest replacing both input and output main shaft bearings too while you are in that far. Unless the synchronizer is acting up or looking worn, it was suggested not to take it apart. I did not. My original countershaft thrust washers were very worn as found upon disassembly. 

Upon reassembly my tranny seems to work fine so far. However, I do see tiny slow drips of oil coming out of the ends of the countershaft and reverse idler gear shafts area. They are pressed into and through the tranny main housing. There are no seals used here. Not sure what I should have done to try and keep this area sealed up tight. There is nothing addressing this in the shop manuals that I have. Perhaps some type of sealant on the ends of the shafts, right before they are hammed into their final resting spot would work well? Suggest you try something. I wish I did.

Edited by keithb7

I use a small amount of permatex #1 to seal both ends of countershafts after careful cleaning to remove grease/oil. 

Common leak area.

Some times this problem leak area is covered by gaskets.

keithb7,

Great advice. I made up the 3/4" oak dowel tool  and I have both the bearings. Looks like the 1939 Transmission was a one year only deal. Will attempt to address that shaft leak issue. Did they leak in the front and back?

Thank you bunches!

Mike

I just got under my car to have a look. Only the rear it seems. Pic of area seen here. Where the dowel lock plate sits. That seems to be the source of a small leak. 

Looking at it now, I see possibly my rear gasket to the park brake housing is not doing so well either. Maybe I should have coated it in Permatex Copper gasket spray?  All gaskets used were brand new.

65E499A6-C472-48F6-A08B-1185A0CD2C4B.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Thank you. And the extra effort of crawling under your car.  Will try something. I have never put anything back together that had something to do with internal combustion that didn't leak somewhere!