Salvageable or not???

DJK

When I bought my 55 Plymouth ( sorry, I know the car is off topic but the chrome is still relevant) it had some dirty, tarnished and pitted chrome loose in the back. Applied some elbow grease and see the result. They now on the car and look great. Could have spent couple of hundred on ebay and no better off.

Not a show car but draws lots of comments

P1070264.jpg.05919d787dbab73ec9ecee424d1d66f3.jpg

P1070265.jpg.6b8a0136033bf0fd1846c0e690d6aa45.jpg

Off topic or not a 55 is beautiful car. My mother had a red and black two door hardtop I thought was pretty snazzy even then. When you go back and look at the cars of 1955, it was pretty special. Most Ford and Chevy offerings were kind of dead dull. Mom's Plymouth was exciting by comparison. The little V8 did its job with perfection. The only trouble she had with the car was the Power Flite transmission. Automatics were a new thing then and most mechanics had a real hard learning curve with them. Translation: some couldn't fix them when something went wrong. Mostly it was about a clean work environment.

The 55 went away when a cousin begged a new Mustang from our Auntie. To make up for that, the Auntie bought my Mom a new 66 Fury lll. It was a nice very modern car but it was all white (like thousands of others) and not nearly as flashy as the 55. The Auntie truly enjoyed picking it out for my Mom and delivering it to her. It seems she knew she had cancer and wanted to do nice things for her loved ones while she could. Ironically the 66 was traded for a new 74 Mustang ll (another dead dull car which barely had enough power even for a V6) which was not nearly as nice as the now 8 year old Plymouth (which had nothing wrong with it, ever). I suppose I am venting, apologies.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:38 AM, Loren said:

. I suppose I am venting, apologies.

not at all. With the increased reliance on computerized cars, many small shop mechanics today won’t touch modern cars. Can’t afford the software required. Makes my interest in my ‘53’s grow. 

• Like 1