Salvageable or not???

DJK

In my opinion, this is one area where the line is drawn between a great daily driver and a trophy car. Secondly, between the.less wealthy hobbiest and the person of means who can have it as he wishes.  I appreciate both. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's going to be a driver. I'm thinking fill the pits w/ JB weld, take them to the local powder coat guy and see if he will coat them. If not, I'll shoot them w/ silver paint and clear coat.

Some of those pieces look salvageable but some are pitted too badly to be of much use (tail light bezels for example). Check ebay on a regular basis as you will often find those pieces in much better shape and at a reasonable cost. Even a daily driver deserves to have better chrome than some of those items. I'm not being nasty but just adding my two nickels worth (the cent is no longer in use in Canada and hasn't been for years).

• Like 2

One thing I've used on rusty chrome pieces is a SOS pad.

Sounds crazy but I've cleaned up parts I thought were kind of hopeless.

The combination of high quality 00 steel wool and the soap they put in them really take the rust off and shine the chrome.

On pot metal they will remove a lot of tarnish and smooth the surface making it seem a whole lot brighter.

Worth a try for a driver and it's a cheap fix.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while a nickel or two in cost, killer chrome deposition spray is an alternative.....Killer Chrome by ALSA

My bumpers were rusted and pitted. I buffed the chrome with a wire wheel then sanded with 80 grit. Used body filler to fill in the pits then primed with POR15 and painted with chrome paint. Wasn't Killer Chrome, I used Eastwood chrome paint. It was cheaper but Killer Chrome is suppose to be top of the line.

IMG_1982.JPG

• Like 2

People can write what ever they want in product reviews, but the one for Killer Chrome I read yesterday was not very favorable.  One of the biggest criticisms was that it could not be touched up later, and this would seem rather important for something like a bumper.

another factor in the not so perfect world of the old car hobby....you got chrome, faux chrome and plain ole paint....pick you poison...if scratched dented or damaged it entails repair.  Guess what...chrome is not spotted in either and I would think Alsa chrome paint being metal deposition would fall in this category.  Best of any silvers paints clear coated and or powder, none come close to real chrome....Killer Chrome does...what look do you want..still refinishing Killer over real chrome is cost effective...painting with silver is by far cheaper but compared to look of chrome, paint looks cheap...pay to play....pony up or ride off into the sunset...the best is not free and rarely cheap.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

People can write what ever they want in product reviews, but the one for Killer Chrome I read yesterday was not very favorable.  One of the biggest criticisms was that it could not be touched up later, and this would seem rather important for something like a bumper.

I did not read any favorable reviews on Killer Chrome.

I have seen the best of refinished products destroyed by most folks be it shop or DIY....is it in the hand of the qualified user or the hand of the abuser...I think in this case it is the cost that drives replies over actual results....many will not pony up for the initial cost, when they do pay, they do not follow the directions...then get mad at the product for their failure.  I have seen plenty of DIY work posted here, I need not say more...

So, to answer your question, yes, those pieces are indeed salvageable.  I have seen far worse restored nicely.  Just how nicely (if at all) depends on how much you want to spend.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2020 at 8:17 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

So, to answer your question, yes, those pieces are indeed salvageable.  I have seen far worse restored nicely.  Just how nicely (if at all) depends on how much you want to spend.

I agree 100%. Mine looked like yours and the chromer made them look like new. How ever be warned, not many places still doing it and it is not cheep. I have more dollars in the chrome than any other single part of the restoration. I would like to do more but i had to draw the line somewhere. 

Edited by LazyK

I had two front bumper guards that I found at a swap meet for $5 each.  Not damaged at all but really dull and lackluster.  I just cleaned the surfaces well and very lightly scuffed it. Used regular chrome paint(three or four coats) and for my usage, ie driver, it looks great.  Remember that at 70 mph at midnight no one will notice.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Haha 1

With JB weld used as filler, sanding, several coats of primer/filler, more sanding, Rustoleum silver paint, at 55 mph you won't notice the imperfections!!!!! As far as the reflectors, they were previously painted over w/ a very dull silver paint, cleaned that off, applied thin layer of vaseline before primer and painting, worked great. Again, it's a driver, not a show car.

11 minutes ago, Dartgame said:

Body filler can be subject to moisture pickup, JB weld is not. But maybe being painted the filler could work?

Well......it works on car bodies.......in both cases primer and paint seal filler from moisture.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan