Head gasket leaking...

ThriftyT

I recently cleaned up the head on my 241.  And installed a new gasket.  I did not copper coat it, and I torqued it to 55 ft lbs in the correct sequence.   I have not run it. I filled it with water and closed the cap.  Over night it developed a few leaks in typical places, I snugged all that up. It still seems to be leaking to the outside of the head in a couple spots.    What did I do wrong?    Thanks in advance 

Everal of the bolts go through water jackets and are prone to seepage.  You can pull those that are leaking, put thread sealer on them and retorque.  Did you run it up to operating temp yet and doma retorque?  It is part of the procedure to achieve operating temp, let it cool to 100 degrees or so then do the torquing sequence again.  Assuming you followed the correct pattern as per the manual, or at least a alternating star pattern from the center out.

1 hour ago, ThriftyT said:

I recently cleaned up the head on my 241.  And installed a new gasket.  I did not copper coat it, and I torqued it to 55 ft lbs in the correct sequence.   I have not run it. I filled it with water and closed the cap.  Over night it developed a few leaks in typical places, I snugged all that up. It still seems to be leaking to the outside of the head in a couple spots.    What did I do wrong?    Thanks in advance 

Good advice on retorque and sealant.  But, I have to ask:  What are the 'typical places'?   If leaking around bolts, sealant is probably all you need, and retorque of course.  Other leaks may require different fixes.  Did you check the head for flatness?  Or resurface?  Check all bolts holes for pulled threads?  I like to use a file on the block surface to expose any high spots around the bolt areas.

Run it for a 1/2  hour..re-torque...should be good.

Typical leaks were hose clamps and such. 2 spots on the head are leaking at the gasket.   I never used any sealant.   Will pull them and seal them.  Than run and re torque.    Thanks guys. 

On another note, when adding your coolant to the radiator only add enough to cover the rad core by about an inch or so.  If you top it up it will puke out the volume it doesn't need.  If you continue to top off, it will continue to puke excess out.  As long as the core is covered you are good.

Edited by greg g
  • Haha 1

Studs...55lbs