Top 5 Favorite Movies

hi_volt

26 minutes ago, hi_volt said:

It's been a while since I've been in a theater as well.  Back when I has a kid, you could go to the local movie theater on Saturday afternoon and see a double feature for $0.25 for a regular seat and $0.35 for a loge.  Extra credit....who remembers what a loge was?

you got me....when TDY in the Mideast at the local military service unit, theatre was 25 cents, popcorn 25 and soda was either 25 or 30 cents...evening entertainment for under a buck..while waiting for the place to open you could watch the bright green geckos chase for bugs on the wall and listen to them bark....when the movie replayed for a couple days those were nights for the walk through the suk….

On 3/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I am more into comedy I guess...a few of my favorite standbys are:  But truthfully I would have to list my top picks more by category than 5 out of all....

Ferris Buellers Day Off

Secondhand Lions

22 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Not in order, and certainly not all my favorites, but probably the ones I've watched the most often;

The Sound of Music

22 hours ago, BobK said:

King Kong (1933)

Twelve Angry Men

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

The Ten Commandments

Above are the ones mentioned that I have seen.

How about:

Waking Ned Devine, and
The Bridge on the River Kwai

Edited by Eneto-55

Related to movies: Last night I decided to see if I could find anything interesting on Netflix. I choose "The Hostiles" 2017. I enjoyed the movie as it seemed to somewhat represent life in the west after the Civil War. Remote outposts. Hostile natives. Cavalry. Challenging times.

Edited by keithb7

in no particular order:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Hunt for the Red Oktober

Die Hard

The Princess Bride

ask me in a week and I might give you slightly different answers....

I like so many and I would almost have to pick genres or actors.  I think if I could only pick 5 the list would be forever changing.  If I think about this any more, I will probably add new topics and different movies. :-)

Western

The Searchers

Stagecoach (John Wayne version)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

The Three Godfathers (both the 1948 John Wayne and the 1936 version)

The Magnificent Seven (both the Yul Brenner and the new one)

Family

The Wizard of Oz

Old Yeller

Marley and Me

The Three Amigos

Young Frankenstein

War

Shenandoah

The Alamo (John Wayne and Billy Bob Thornton)

Das Boot (German subtitles or dubbed in English)

Gallipoli

All Quiet on the Western Front (1979 TV version with Richard Thomas and Ernst Borgnine easily my favorite version)

SciFi/Adventure/Monster

King Kong (original and the newer versions)

Frankenstein (Boris Karloff)

Mummy (Boris and the new versions)

The Time Machine

Mysterious Island

3 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

I like so many and I would almost have to pick genres or actors.  I think if I could only pick 5 the list would be forever changing.  If I think about this any more, I will probably add new topics and different movies. ?

War

Shenandoah

Gallipoli

All Quiet on the Western Front (1979 TV version with Richard Thomas and Ernst Borgnine easily my favorite version)

I nearly put Das Boot in my list but it would certainly be in the top 10. The tension throughout the movie is great. It doesn't matter it was a German u-boat as you can still relate to everything that is happening to them and their will to survive. The ending, I think, is an analogy for the futility of war.

Edited by RobertKB

I had the opportunity to work on the refit of the USS Burrfish SS/SSR-312, (HMCS Grilse) and the USS Argonaut SSR475,(HMCS Rainbow). Both were on loan to the Canadian Navy.

During the time I worked at the Navy Dockyard I had the experience of working on a number of ships that had been in service during WWII as well as working along side a number of veterans who had served.

Das Boot (German subtitles or dubbed in English) is also a movie I enjoyed watching.

Edited by T120

A couple of other submarine movies that come to mind that I found entertaining and also thought-provoking were, "The Enemy Below" and also,"The Bedford Incident"...

Edited by T120

10 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

1. Bourne Identity

2. Bourne Supremacy

3. Bourne Ultimatum

4. Jason Bourne

5. Bourne Legacy

You sure about the last one?   ?

6 hours ago, Bobacuda said:

I like so many and I would almost have to pick genres or actors.  I think if I could only pick 5 the list would be forever changing.  If I think about this any more, I will probably add new topics and different movies. ?

Western

The Searchers

Stagecoach (John Wayne version)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

The Three Godfathers (both the 1948 John Wayne and the 1936 version)

The Magnificent Seven (both the Yul Brenner and the new one)

Family

The Wizard of Oz

Old Yeller

Marley and Me

The Three Amigos

Young Frankenstein

War

Shenandoah

Gallipoli

SciFi/Adventure/Monster

King Kong (original and the newer versions)

Frankenstein (Boris Karloff)

Mummy (Boris and the new versions)

The Time Machine

Mysterious Island

I'm surprised your SciFi listing didn't include The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 version); the best SciFi movie ever!

Two John Wayne movies I would consider watching again if I have to self isolate and can't make it out to the garage...The Searchers"  and  "The Shootist".

Edited by T120

......... Movie..................................Why................

1. Vanishing Point...............either one, 1971 or 1997 version

2. Le Mans...........................Steve Mcqueen

3. Bullitt................................1968 Charger and Steve McQueen

4. Rush..................................realism of the racing and level of story telling

5. Senna................................its just one of those documentaries that felt like a movie. 

6. Crazy Larry Dirty Mary......Filmed in my neck of the woods and the crash scene was filmed on our field (they didn't ask..lol) 

7. Star Wars 1977.................Han Solo and X-Wing Fighters (like I even needed to write that!)

48D

2 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

......... Movie..................................Why................

1. Vanishing Point...............either one, 1971 or 1997 version

2. Le Mans...........................Steve Mcqueen

3. Bullitt................................1968 Charger and Steve McQueen

4. Rush..................................realism of the racing and level of story telling

5. Senna................................its just one of those documentaries that felt like a movie. 

6. Crazy Larry Dirty Mary......Filmed in my neck of the woods and the crash scene was filmed on our field (they didn't ask..lol) 

7. Star Wars 1977.................Han Solo and X-Wing Fighters (like I even needed to write that!)

48D

I didn't include star wars because I couldn't pick just one and didn't want my list to be like Merle. Also bullitt? The chase scene is one of the best but the entire movie Zzzzzzzz

Good point about "The Day the Earth Stood Still."  Looking at my list, I overlooked "Shane" and "True Grit" (both versions), as well.  "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' was another great one, as was "Little Big Man."  I always watch "Midway" and "The Longest Day" whenever they are on TV, as well.

I just like too many to limit myself to five :-)

• Like 1

This is a heckuva challenge hi-volt laid down.  Though not a "challenge", per se, it turns into one when you ponder the question.  I could also frame favorite movies by which ones I know the most quotes from....much to the annoyance of comrades.  Now I hafta go and re-watch a bunch of the ones you'uns have listed!

I have been trimming branches and cleaning up my woods for past few weeks (after work). Best movie ever.  

and Hot Rod. The top of my, (when I will the lottery list)  is a Willis coupe. 

19 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Also bullitt? The chase scene is one of the best but the entire movie Zzzzzzzz

AMAZzzzzzzzzzzing!! is right.....totally bitchin' movie.

Of course had I made the movie.....Bullitt would have trashed the Mustang, beat up the bad guys, taken their 68 Charger, then drove off into the sunset....... end of movie.

48D 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Rear window (Jimmy Stewart)

Star Wars

Gone in 60 seconds (1974)

The Terminator

Goodfellas

Honorable mentions: Indiana Jones series

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, Todd B said:

. . . The top of my, (when I will the lottery list)  is a Willis coupe. 

So you are going by Bruce's spelling of that old world name instead of John North's spelling? :)

From what I've read it seems likely that John North pronounced his name the same as Bruce does though nearly everyone nowadays uses a "Y" sound.