230 Dodge HUB/SPROCKET Install Question

Cat Whisker

Hello all. I am looking to install the balancer/damper hub and timing sprocket on a 1952 230 Dodge engine. Pulling them off took some doing and told me no way could they be driven back on. Even with heat and dry ice, it's such a tight interference fit, the thrust bearing would be history. Searching here, I found that Dodgeb4ya (in 2018) had made a special crank bolt for pressing/pulling them back on.

See:  https://p15-d24.com/topic/47346-crank-pulley-install-question/ 

The thread size is 1-1/8/-14, which is not standard at all. I have a lathe and can cut one with some 1-1/4 round stock. Then I would have to make a nut for it or drill and tap it.

I have not cleaned or magnafluxed the crank yet.

My question is:

Why can't I just drill into the end of the crank about 5/8 - 3/4 inch deep, tap it as 1/2-20, finish with a bottom tap and use a standard balance installer which I already have?? 

There is plenty of meat at that end of the crank as it is almost inside of the front journal.

Many thanks in advance again. Sincerely Michele.

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03733.JPG

3 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

If you can make a threaded stud in your lathe, why not make an adapter? 1-1/8" - 14 thread on the outside and 1/2" - 20 thread on the inside to accept your other tool. Then there's no risk of weakening the crank, or drilling into an oil passage.

That is a good idea and it lets me use my balancer installer which I like because of the big flat plate and thrust bearing. I wasn't too concerned about the crank as the oil passage goes towards the first rod journal but did wonder about the strength under the sprocket. Many thanks. 

There is a special tool from Miller but without one , I made something out of a spare crank bolt ( yes weird and rare thread size ).

You can buy a bolt from Vintage Power Wagons and make a tool.  Do NOT pound the damper onto the crank !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

There is a special tool from Miller but without one , I made something out of a spare crank bolt ( yes weird and rare thread size ).

You can buy a bolt from Vintage Power Wagons and make a tool.  Do NOT pound the damper onto the crank !

I went ahead and made a 1-1/8 -14 bolt today 4 inches long. I did find a nut that fits. Fastenal actually had a 1-1/8-14 nut. No bolts just the nut in a grade 8. I cut a washer today also so I should have all I need to push the sprocket and damper on.  Many thanks Conn47d24 for the info.

DSC03734.JPG

DSC03735.JPG

• Like 2

That's the way to do it!

Nice job..

Easy damper/ pulley installation the right way?

46 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That's the way to do it!

Nice job..

Easy damper/ pulley installation the right way?

It was your posting Dodgeb4ya, that I found searching for a 1-1/8-14 bolt. Thanks to you, the idea is great and didn't take very long at all. 

• Thanks 1

I think most people pound the crank gear on...hard on the # 4 crank main bearing thrust flange?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Might be a small market for these, I know I would like to have one.  Though you might consider adding to flats on the end in case you need a wrench to unscrew it.

Rich Hartung:  Yes I know I would be interested if you decide to make some of these pullers.

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, Sniper said:

Might be a small market for these, I know I would like to have one.  Though you might consider adding to flats on the end in case you need a wrench to unscrew it.

I did cut a slot in the end just in case thanks to your idea...

• Like 1