Genrerator to Alternator

MarkAubuchon

11 minutes ago, MarkAubuchon said:

I know its been covered before. I want to upgade my 47 to 12 volts.  What type of alternator, brackets and voltage regulator will I need.  PS, its already 12 volt generator.  Mark

Me too, however I will need to go all the way to a 12 volt alternator setup. I'm assuming any of the various mass market suppliers such as Summit, JEGS, etc.would be a good choice...

Get a one-wire alternator and you won't need a regulator. Here is where I got mine:

https://www.ebay.com/str/howardent

This vendor also has a bracket:

https://www.ebay.com/str/howardent/Universal-Alternator-Bracket/_i.html?_storecat=7040873016

Make sure you order an alternator with the correct pulley width to fit your application.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

Great tutorial! Do you have the wiring tutorial? Also, I thought alternators had built-in voltage regulation. You mention a separate voltage regulator.

7 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

Great tutorial! Do you have the wiring tutorial? Also, I thought alternators had built-in voltage regulation. You mention a separate voltage regulator.

Sniper wanted a MoPar alternator. The Delco one-wire alternators sold by the vendor I linked do not need an external regulator. The installation for the one-wire units is very simple, just connect the alternator output to the lead that is presently on the regulator "Bat" terminal. That's it.....ammeter will still work normally.

The old regulator can be tossed on the workbench or remain in the car to look purty....your choice.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

2 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Thanks, I don't have a wiring tutorial on this swap because it's the same as any other Mopar swap to this type alternator, such as converting my 65 Cuda from the older single field connection mechanical regulator to the newer dual field connection electronic regulator like the 87 Diplomat alternator donor.

I do not like internal regulator conversions.  If the alternator dies you are stuck and I drive my cars regularly, as daily drivers.  So I like parts I can get off the shelf.

Here's a link to a site that talks about wiring up the type of regulator I have.

http://www.mymopar.com/charging.htm 

Edited by Sniper
more info

• 2 months later...