Electrical question

greg g

So while I practice social distancing I am giving some thought to wiring my fog lamps into the front signal circuits.  I guess this would require some sort of resistor in the power wire to keep the blinker from back feeding into the other fog lamp, and from powering the signal elements in the stock lights from lighting up when the fogs are powered from the existing toggle.  Can one of you electric wizards draw up a schematic and a spec and source for the resisters or diodes needed.  The signal switch is not connected to the brake lights and operates from the flasher through a double pole toggle switch so basically power in and power out right and power out left.  Three wire set up.

I have these turn signal units in both my old Mopars:

http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

They do what you want. I have them wired to my fog lights and brake lights. The work correctly whether the fog lights are on or off.

They are pricey, but they work well and I've never had any problems with them.

Pete

6 minutes ago, 50mech said:

Positive ground or negative?

If you are asking about the Electro-Tech turn signals I mention above, they work with either positive or negative ground. My old Mopars are both still 6v positive ground.

Pete

I would probably use relays. I'd have the turn signal circuit for each side activate a relay which would then power on the fog lamp. This would reduce the amp load on your turn signal switch and flasher relay. You could still use diodes to isolate the left and right side fog lamps, if you still want to use them as fog lamps.

• Like 2

Why are you connecting the two circuits? I would have them separate so it's KISS.

16 hours ago, 50mech said:

Made a mistake on that relay circuit,sorry, this is the correct circuit for one side. Other side is just mirrored except the manual switches of course. Assuming the flasher feeds your signal switch. You could also run the light from 85 and run 86 to ground to make the relay parallel.... depending on how your flasher reacts.

IMG_20200316_233552329.jpg

That one looks like it would work great. Repeat for the other side. the direct switched wire from the fog light switch could connect to both sides, and this is where you'd want the diodes to keep from flashing both together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

That one looks like it would work great. Repeat for the other side. the direct switched wire from the fog light switch could connect to both sides, and this is where you'd want the diodes to keep from flashing both togethe

Edited by 50mech

Ok, now I understand, you are wanting the fog lamps to flash as well, according to the above circuit.

Expanding on what 50mech drew up earlier, here's a more complete diagram. The diodes look backwards to me, but I'm also used to looking at Neg ground systems. I drew this one as Pos ground. Also, I found these 10A rated diodes on Amazon. They should be able to flow enough current for your fog lamps without burning out. https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Salon-10SQ045-Schottky-Diodes-Rectifier/dp/B017N62QP0/ref=sr_1_67?dchild=1&keywords=diode&qid=1584619108&sr=8-67&swrs=2C67D648946E2BD38DA47F888C6208AE

Signals.jpg.75e678c3b7eae2e1d6207b5e501ac90a.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins