Master Cylinder swap out on P15

Mike S

1947 Plymouth P15 Master cylinder swap out. Cannot remove fulcrum from old to put in new. I thought it had a roll pin but I have hit it with a punch from both sides but nothing has came out either side. I’ve also drilled from both sides but nothing. I’ve hit it pretty hard with a ball peen from both sides but it hasn’t budged. I included pics of the old and the new one. Notice the new one doesn’t have a hole on it where a roll pin might go. Any tips?

959ABC53-C9AE-43A7-A28E-9F5177BF04B0.jpeg

5F73C05C-EFF7-404E-B697-0745AB1BCA2C.jpeg

An arbor press would be the best tool to use.  If you don't have a press you could try a large vise or even a large C clamp.  You should try to press it out rather than hammer on it.  Try soaking it with Marvel mystery oil before trying to press it out.

• Like 1

Yes, pressing this out is the best way to do it. If you pound on the pin with a hammer, the end that you hit will mushroom over making it almost impossible to remove. If you do a lot of your own car work, a press is a great investment. I built a 20 ton press and it has really been a blessing for axle bearings etc. Harbor Freight sells reasonably priced presses that would fit your needs. Best of luck.

John R 

New guy here, right in the middle of replacing all brake parts on my new 48 spec. del. I wrestled the M/C out of the car and disassembled it last night. I am wondering if there is a special tool for removing the horseshoe clips that I have found on the ends of the pivot pin for the pedals and on the brake shoe anchor pins? 

My other question is about the press y'all are talking about to put the new pin in the M/C, can you tell which press I need to get?

I appreciate any help I can get. This forum and all your knowledge has been a huge help to me already. 

10 hours ago, DonnieT said:

New guy here, right in the middle of replacing all brake parts on my new 48 spec. del. I wrestled the M/C out of the car and disassembled it last night. I am wondering if there is a special tool for removing the horseshoe clips that I have found on the ends of the pivot pin for the pedals and on the brake shoe anchor pins? 

My other question is about the press y'all are talking about to put the new pin in the M/C, can you tell which press I need to get?

I appreciate any help I can get. This forum and all your knowledge has been a huge help to me already. 

Welcome Donnie T. I personally like a 20 ton press which can handle any job that I need to do. Check Harbor Freight. My friend bought one and it works very well. Best of luck.

John R

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html

• Like 1

Thanks John,

I appreciate your reply. I haven't got the room for a press so I took my new M/C and pivot pin to a popular and experienced machine shop. It was so tight they had to use their largest press. When I got it back assembled, the one end had mushroomed and cracked were the clip goes. It should work fine now after some filing. I wish I would have suggested they heat up the M/C first.

Donnie T

Edited by DonnieT

7 hours ago, DonnieT said:

Thanks John,

I appreciate your reply. I haven't got the room for a press so I took my new M/C and pivot pin to a popular and experienced machine shop. It was so tight they had to use their largest press. When I got it back assembled, the one end had mushroomed and cracked were the clip goes. It should work fine now after some filing. I wish I would have suggested they heat up the M/C first.

Donnie T

If you need a new pedal shaft and bushings you can use a '48 f**d  one, there's a seller on ebay who sells repro ones.

Check out my earlier thread for details of how I fitted them to my stock '48 Plymouth master cylinder.

• Like 1