Truck cover and Driving Impressions

tanda62

Thought I would share some pics of the cover I got from California Cover Co.  This cover is for a 1953 Dodge Truck Base Standard Cab 7.5 FT Long Bed 116in Wheel Base.  The material is nice and it is easy to put on by yourself.  As you can see from the pictures it does not cover all the way to the ground but since this will be an inside the garage cover for me I am not too concerned. There is elastic on the four corners and grommets in the middle for a line to secure the cover.  I am happy with it for my purpose but thought these pictures might help others.

Also some quick driving impressions.  So my truck has been completely gone through with new bearings, shocks and such.  The suspension setup is stock with the exception of an adjustable drag link (made front end alignment so much easier and more accurate).  Stock steering box and drum brakes (new shoes, cylinders, and lines) all around.  I did not replace the king pins as the tolerance was well within specs. Tires are bias ply STA super transport 700-15 from Coker. The transmission is a 4 speed New process 420 and the rear end is a 410.   I have never driven a classic truck but have driven many classic cars of all makes and models.

Okay - so the ride surprised me.  Much smoother that I expected, better than a stock 56 Chevy four door after its rebuild.  The truck takes bumps without much protest.  I am also surprised how well it tracks.  I do kinda feel like Ralph Kramden from the Honeymooners with this big wheel and seating position.  Even with the bias ply tires there is not an excessive amount of wondering and once moving the steering is easy and cornering happens without excessive lean.  First gear is about a ten foot gear and the truck will easily get going with second.  Second gear does not like going above 25mph and third wants out around 35.  So far I have gotten to 55mph but haven't really pushed beyond that and don't really see the need.  The acceleration...well, not breaking any records here but it does move along and hey its not a sports car!  Brakes work well for drums - need to prepare and be ready. The transmission does not appreciate downshifting and although it will do it there is some mighty protesting going on so engine braking may be for emergency situations only.  I do love how I can rest my arm out the window and not feel cramped like so many modern cars and trucks.

It is fun to see the reaction of others as you drive along and I have had several coming towards me have to swerve as they realize they are drifting towards me with target fixation.  You do have to factor in delays for getting anywhere as people have actually stopped to look at the truck when it is parked so not only is the truck not fast, telling people about it will make any trip longer.  Overall I can see why the promotional videos from the day touted the ride and drive-ability of these trucks as a selling point.  I certianly have a big smile on my face tooling around town!

Cover 01.gif

Cover 02.gif

Cover 03.gif

Cover 04.gif

• Like 3

I have a California Car Cover for my truck that I used to use every day when I had to park it outside. I haven’t used it in several years as I can keep it inside the garage at my current home. I made up some cut tennis balls attached to dowel rods. I would slide them into the bed side rolls at the rear to soften the edges for the cover. After 2 or 3 years of use my cover started to rip through at the hood ornament. A couple more small rips happened at the cab to bed transition areas. I ordered a new cover and asked for some extra material so that I could reinforce the area over the hood ornament. I also had plans to create some mirror pockets, as it didn’t have any. They offered to add mirror pockets but I worried about getting them measured out correctly for them. I never did make them, and shortly after purchasing that second one I moved and didn’t need it any longer. It was a good quality cover. As I recall, it was their Noah fabric for our door use. 

I had driven a 5spd Omni and Dakota for years before driving my '48 3spd, and it took a little while to get accustomed to the dynamics...same when I got the '49 4spd moving again...as I told a lady friend of mine who I had taught how to drive a 5spd after MANY other guys had failed, each powertrain has a personality, and it's kinda like dealing with women: some are easy going, some take a little understanding to know how to deal with, and some are downright difficult...we "discussed" this for awhile before she realized what I was saying after driving her Tercel, my Dakota, then my '48...at first, she thought that '48 was impossible, but then she got the hang of it and said it wasn't so bad after all..."kinda like you" I said to her with a big grin, which she rewarded me with a big ol' punch in the arm :cool: